What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Rear puncture Friday. Tube rubbing rim at the valve as rim tape a tiny bit off. Patched ok but consigned to spares duty. Was flat when I got home in the van (part commute) so I wasn't caught short and fixed it at home.
Front puncture yesterday. Was almost flat leaving work. Quick tube change and when home found a snake bite at the valve. On the reinforced area of the valve so not really fixable and consigned to the bin. Not bad for 6 months of commuting I suppose.

tom73

Guru
Picked up my new addition to the fleet a nice Spa steel tourer late last week of eBay boy it needed a good clean so got to work on it once home.
It must have been bad Mrs 73 was not having it in the house till I had. :smooch:
The guy had covered it in frame protecters then look's to have left it how can you do that to a poor old bike. :wacko:
Once the mudguards came off I got to work. They can wait they are covered too so over night dunk in the outside troff I think.
Then off with the wheels off they got a clean then the cassette oh boy it was a mess it fact every part of the drive chain needed a good going over. The grime on the jockey wheels I could pull off in bits at a time. If you left your gran is that mess the social be round pretty quick lucky under all the crap all was good.

So after a good top to toe clean I left everything to dry in the sunny weather.

Yesterday on went the wheels and swopped out the spindles for a new set of quick release. A check of the chain showed it was just ok but did not look it. Turned out the grime was worse than thought and was stopping checker dropping though the chain cleanly. After I'd had cleaned a section up had to use gunk to shift it :laugh: It was as thought in need of replacement. Last job to do was remove the toe clips (some like them I know but not for me)

Today was the day new chain fitted , tyres checked and pumped up then a nice polish :becool:
Been a few day's coming but just back from a nice test ride in the sun round the block. oh ok a few laps of the block. :laugh:
A little gear adjustment needed and good to go.

Now for some bling (can't decide red, green, purple or orange) new peddles and lastly new bottle cagers Mrs 73 think's they look cheep. :smile:

Attachments

• IMG_3182.JPG
    IMG_3182.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3183.JPG
    IMG_3183.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3186.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3190.JPG
    IMG_3190.JPG
    295.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 12

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Fed up of not being able to use my knobbly landcruisers, I dug out 2 of my last 3 rear 700 X 50mm mudguards and fitted them in place of the 45mm longboards.
I miss the nice 'latte' colour of them but I'd rather the bike usable than pretty.

JhnBssll

Veteran
A bit of tinkering this evening. After getting the dynamo charger sorted on the commuter it was time to sort power for the other bikes so I ordered a powerbank complete with "bike bracket". I decided quite quickly that the bracket was pants, but had a cunning plan...

Heres the powerbank and bracket in question... It was quite cheap on Amazon, only a 5000mAh jobby but the GPS computer is only 3200 so should extend my range to about 250-300 miles, which is enough I think :laugh:

20190704_180521.jpg

There is a rivet holding the two central plastic parts together that allow them to rotate. I drilled the rivet out to seperate the bracket in to two parts...

20190704_180547.jpg

Then I fettled the part that holds the powerbank with a stanley knife until it fit on to the GPS bracket like so...

20190704_181434.jpg

If my calculations were correct the power bank would nestle nicely between the stem bolts...

20190704_181531.jpg

Result :laugh: And with the computer fitted...

20190704_182309.jpg
20190704_182952.jpg

Quite tidy, job done. Except one minor point, I haven't got a USB lead with a small enough connector to plug in to the computer as it's so close to the bars :laugh: D'oh! I'll scour the internet until I either find a suitable cable or give up and make some spacers to move the bracket out slightly :laugh: Next step is to try and turn the other half of the original bracket in to another similar mount for road bike #2 ^_^

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
A bit of tinkering this evening.

View attachment 473907

Quite tidy, job done. Except one minor point

You need a screw and washer in Hope Orange :laugh:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Decided the best place for the pump to live was behind the seat tube and discovered that the pump bracket already had little slots to take zip ties! Yay!
Then when I got home from taking muttly out I chopped about 3 inches off the back of the front mudguard. It was millimetres from ploughing the fields I rode through.

Last edited:
Top Bottom