What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Loose grub screw holding the rear mudguard to the frame, noticed whilst cleaning the bike.
Wheel off, area cleaned and dried, then a spot of loctite and a twiddle with a 5mm Allen key.
Sorted.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well the outer cable for gears didn't come but my butted crimps with shrink wrap for joining my Dynamo wires together did. The original wire not long enough to reach hub from the mount on my recumbent derailleur post.

So I've joined the wires together, mounted light on derailleur post, and added shrink wrap to the carbon fork to keep it all nice and neat.

So lighting now complete on new recumbent. I have a backup be seen Cateye Omni 5 mounted on the steerer tube in case of Dynamo failure.

Span the wheel a few times before completing fettle in case it wasn't working. All good. Just need to add gear cabling and chain and we are good for first ride.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 6

Gunk

Guru
Saw this idea on the front door of a bike shop in France. I managed to pick up a nice Cannondale Si crank which had a stripped thread for next to nothing, so decided to fit it in my sons bedroom.

I used some cut down pieces of seat stem to space it, and some smaller spacers I had lying around In the garage. It’s secured with a coach bolt.

C20-F105-A-C225-4436-8-CDD-4-AB3-D7676-DB4.jpg

688-C38-DD-2-A08-4361-BFAB-045-FBA93-D71-A.jpg

88-DA3-D52-A090-4-DF2-871-D-83-F6-FF316143.jpg

Saw this idea on the front door of a bike shop in France. I managed to pick up a nice Cannondale Si crank which had a stripped thread for next to nothing, so decided to fit it in my sons bedroom.

I used some cut down pieces of seat stem to space it, and some smaller spacers I had lying around In the garage. It’s secured with a coach bolt.

View attachment 493720

View attachment 493721

View attachment 493722

Best. Handle. Ever. Brilliant idea.

You could even have a latch opening version.

Now, where can I get me a spare crank?

Hell my dad has come back to haunt me
and if you wear though the soles of your shoes before the rest wears out you will live to spend all your money.

All the old ones come out here !!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Fitted front derailleur cabling and checked shift was ok from small ring to large (it's a triple). Will sort limit screws once chain fitted. Fitted rear derailleur cable, with inline barrel adjuster. I have a few metres of gear cable outer and cut as required. Also fitted bar tape and steerer spacers once handle bar height confirmed. Rain stopped play whilst cabling rear derailleur so that'll have to wait till tomorrow for completion.

Left to do. Finish off rear gear cabling. Add disc rotors to front and rear wheels. Fit brakes pads (off whilst adding mineral oil / bleeding brakes to avoid contamination), fit cassette to rear wheel. Then fit chain, fine tune rear derailleur, and bike is ready for its first shakedown ride.

Oh and brake cables got pulled whilst steerer removed to fit spacers. So I'll pull the cables back into place to give a nice symmetric look. Not a functional just aesthetic fettle.

Bike is recumbent by the way. The seat doesn't have feet on the ground that's the turbo feet the bike is attached to whilst I sorted the fit. Will weigh slightly less than my road bike.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
A little bit of carpentry today. We have a bird feeder which I wanted to attach to a concrete post as we`d had the fence and post replaced in the summer. Two pieces of wood, one screw and glue, a few chamfers and a touch of pain and we are done. Luckily the post already had two holes pre-drilled so I was able to attach using cable ties. To think that I obtained a CSE grade one in woodwork 44 years ago. Mind you I think that a mortice
and tenon joint would have been lost on the birds, perhaps a dovetail joint would have been better ! Just need the feed and the birds.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I recently noticed when building my Pilot frameset up that the hydraulic hose exited the rear caliper at an annoying angle. It hangs with the caliper at head height so ever since then I've seen it every time I've walked past 😖

Anyway the other day I noticed the hose on the rear caliper of my Methanol exited at 90 degrees to that of the Pilot and that on this bike this created an upsetting S bend in the hose before it went in to the chainstay...

The answer was obvious, swap the fittings :laugh: I removed both hoses and fittings and then cleaned them thoroughly. The Methanol's brakes use Dot 5.1 and the Pilot's use mineral oil. Popped the 90 degree fitting on to the Pilot and bled the brakes through with my mineral oil kit...

Perfect! Next I put the straight connector on the the Methanol and bled them through with the Dot 5.1 kit...

Not as neat as the Pilot but better than it was :laugh: Overall a good fettle!

While I had the bleeding kit out I also bled the brakes on the Oltre as I'd noticed the front was playing up a bit, feels solid again now :okay: Not sure why it had gone spongy but I'll keep an eye on it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've clipped the rear brake hose to the frame using the supplied fixings. I've added the disc rotor to the front wheel, removed spacer and fitted front disc pads, aligned caliper via loosen bolts, apply brake, tighten bolts, and also adjusted wheel bearings as slightly too loose.

Now having a break and lunch.

After lunch. Cassette and disc rotor on rear wheel. Fit rear derailleur. Fit chain. Cut final length of gear cable outer, clamp inner cable and tune rear derailleur.

Then new recumbent build will be complete. First test ride tomorrow as that fits better with my wife's plans.

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've clipped the rear brake hose to the frame using the supplied fixings. I've added the disc rotor to the front wheel, removed spacer and fitted front disc pads, aligned caliper via loosen bolts, apply brake, tighten bolts, and also adjusted wheel bearings as slightly too loose.

Now having a break and lunch.

After lunch. Cassette and disc rotor on rear wheel. Fit rear derailleur. Fit chain. Cut final length of gear cable outer, clamp inner cable and tune rear derailleur.

Then new recumbent build will be complete. First test ride tomorrow as that fits better with my wife's plans.

Pretty exciting times then! Looking forward to some pics when it's ready for it's maiden voyage :okay:

After yesterdays muddy ride (on roads I may add) I thought I`d better give the chain a good clean and lube. Whilst I was about it I removed the chainrings and cleaned those also, realizing how whippy the FSA 53 tooth is, obviously not as bad when mounted. The creaking noise I mentioned a few days back was the chainwheel on the front derailleur so pleased to find the culprit. As I had already washed the bike after the ride yesterday there was`nt much more to do other than a bit of polish and wipe over of the wheels and spokes. At least it will be clean ready for the next sortie !

Top Bottom