What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Bianchi mtb doesnt shift very well between the two front rings. Theres some play in the mech which I suspect is the problem but I figured I would try and get it sat as close to the rings as possible first to rule that out. It's a real pain as the direct mount bolts are behind the chainring so the chainset has to come off before you adjust the mech :wacko: It makes it a bit more of a challenge to adjust it, largely guesswork and trial and error :laugh:

Anyway, I got it as close as I dare. If it still doesnt shift properly I'll bite the bullet and order a new one :B)

View attachment 496197

Your cage is bent. The top edge should be level (parallel) with the mech body (same applies on electric stuff) - it's been bashed/yanked.

The outer plate profile should follow the chainring

Unless you can get a new cage, that's a full front DI2 mech... £££££

JhnBssll

Veteran
Hmm, I dont think it's bent? This is a screenshot from Wiggle of a new one, it looks the same as mine?

I suspect it will be a new mech needed anyway due to the play in the linkages :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS , get out the adjustable spanner and fix it. It's a steel cage.

My SRAM rear mech was a bit of a surprise to me compared to Shimano. They weigh nothing, but my goodness, they break easily.... I had to bend the rear cage back straight after I put some weight on the bike with no wheels in... light weight... :ohmy:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Looking at the picture, I think the seat stay clamp has gone as the body isn't level to the tube.

PS It's £££'s

It's not mounted to the seat tube, it's a direct mount 👍

JhnBssll

Veteran

I've had another look at it. It's not bent, in fact the cage is in pretty good shape. It shifts up on to the big ring fine with no problems but the slop in the linkages prevents it from shifting back down properly when theres any load on the chain. On the stand it works perfectly :sad: I'll give it a ride around thetford forest on friday afternoon and if it's still playing up I'll order a replacement :surrender:

Gunk

Guru
It looks like it’s had a wallop, they’re not mega bucks, personally I’d just fit a new one.

my 12 year old XTR rear mech kept playing up, I wasted bloody hours degreasing, lubricating and trying to micro adjust it, I finally came to the conclusion that it was probably bent, I replaced it with a new Sram XO Mech and the shifting quality is now perfect.

CXRAndy

Guru
No bike fettling today, had to clear a slow draining sink in the bathroom,after trying some HG drain unbocker, which didn`t do much, tried rodding with curtain wire and only succeeded in making it a total blockage. So had to loosen sink so I could take out pedestal and undo trap, downstairs to kitchen sink, backflush and out popped lots of long hair, and half a toothbrush. Problem solved, reassemble and check it works, then tea, and relax. Bike waiting for tomorrow, new shifters for front FD and a test run.
john

We have the same issue once a year. I use our compressor with a blower attached. It clears all the crud out. Warning put an old cloth over the hole else all the crap will hit the ceiling and you:laugh:

Top Bottom