What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Were you ... sort of ... drunk at the time :tongue:

If only...
That would have been a good excuse, but sadly no. I'm just getting crapper at bike riding :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Fitted a new rear jockey wheel to son's commuter.

His first race for 2020 is next Saturday in Leeds so rather than chance it on the day his race bike's come out of storage and been set up. All OK except the rear wheel needs trueing - an LBS job given it's a deep section carbon - so that'll have to wait. Backup race wheel on, brake pads switched from the Exalith ones used for the national hillclimb to carbon pads and with some cable adjustments all seems OK. Oh, and new jockey wheels fitted from Superstar Components instead of the Dura-Ace ones he's been using for the past 2 years - they were in better shape than we thought but a bit sticky.

Last edited:
Right, that's Wiggy #2, the Chartres, cleaned from stem to stern and the transmission de-greased, cleaned and re-oiled. :smile: I didn't expect to come across contractors moving a whole quarry's worth of gravel and muck onto the road along with their loads of sugar beet. :angry: All spick and span now, though. :okay:

Plus I fitted the handlebar extension that arrived on Friday. Must say, I'm glad I chose the red one as it really suits the bike's colour scheme. Only downside, the spacers that came with it were made of rigid plastic, not rubber, so the rather useless inner spacers went straight in the bin, and I replaced them with strips cut from one of those resistance / exercise band thingies that was knocking around in the "miscellaneous" drawer * in the kitchen.

* I reckon everyone probably has one of these - a drawer chock full of things like oddments of string, rubber bands, batteries, paperclips, small tools, sticky labels, tubes of glue and other random bits... :laugh:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Replaced the gaurds on my rat bike as something got stuck in-between the tyre and fender and snapped a chunk off it.
Replaced with zefal shield r30 s
Bit fiddlier than crud mk 2s to fit but a lot more clearance so they shouldn't rub so much
stock photo from interweb
1580056240918.png

Jenkins

Legendary Member
A simple but important fettle this morning.

I removed and refitted the Suntour QLoc through axle on the front fork of my main bike.

This is important because the blasted thing rusts in place if left fitted for more than a month or two.

It came out OK, but needed a sharp tap on the end of an allen key I used as a drift.

Seems I just about got away with it.

Previously, it was a bike shop job - they have a heavy duty drift, having had several others rusted in.

Oddly, going tubeless is partly to blame.

When I was getting punctures, I was unwittingly keeping the axle free by removing it regularly.

Greasing it is the obvious option, but the fit is so snug the grease tends to wipe off as you push the axle through.

I'd get rid of it, but it's fork specific (no threads), and might be hub specific for all I know.

The cost/faff to benefit ratio of replacing it with a properly designed axle does not stack up.

I thought about trying to reduce its circumference with emery cloth or a cutting compound.

Might work, although it might also provide a key on the surface and make matters worse.

With no threads in the fork legs, it needs to be a close fit, making taking off too much a possibility.

Removing it occasionally is not so hard, but it's the type of little job that's easy to forget.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8IqJD34Ky0

Thanks for the reminder - I must check the one on my Voodoo Bizango. I have had to resort to a bit of "persuasion" in the past.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks for the reminder - I must check the one on my Voodoo Bizango. I have had to resort to a bit of "persuasion" in the past.

The fork, in Suntour terms, is fairly high spec, including magnesium legs.

My local bike shop observed I'm probably better off with a high spec Suntour in comparison to what would be a cheap original equipment Rockshox for the same money.

My guess is the combination of magnesium and whatever metal the QLoc is made of is causing the corrosion.

Although the binding could be happening in the hub.

Mine is on my ebike which is a heavy beast, making removing the QLoc more of a faff.

It would be relatively easy on a lightweight mountain bike.

The QLoc is reasonably robust, it's stood up to being whacked.

The bike shop told me most of the ones they've done have been the same, apart from one which was destroyed by the removal process.

I hardly need a suspension fork for my trekking use, but I would be curious to try a bike with a pukka £1,000 Rockshox having never done so.

Finally changed the ancient and half broken pedals on the commuter bike. The old pedals were clicking and I could see the ball bearings.
New pedals about to get a baptism of fire as I'm about to go out with a red storm warning.

It's all smugness and fun living car-free I tell you...

Survived. So did the pedals.

There were a few moments I was glad I had a straight bar to hold the front wheel down.

Top Bottom