What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Re taped two bikes

Forgot to take a picture of both afterwards :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Continued progress on son's Argon E-116: new Continental Competition tub stuck on and front brakes working having been re-cabled. Rear brake is a pain; the v-brake style TRP right/left sections won't work properly together. They're all full of fiddly screws/levers/springs and are abysmal to set up correctly. Almost there though ...

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Cleaned the Racelight - took it offroad on Monday and it was filthy.

Also noticed the deraileur hanger was a little bent which explained the funny shifting - not dirty as I'd thought. Bent the hanger back more or less into place - much better than it was - although it could probably do with being done properly at the LBS. I'll get them to look at it next time I'm down there.

Er - Why?
Because found myself wanting to rest hands in that way on the flat bar. Its actually OK.

Had the bike weighed today. 8.3kg. Very pleased and still spent under £500 building it.

IMG_20200805_175221.jpg

Got a floor pump. Nothing special.

IMG-20200805-WA0011.jpeg

Got these gatorskin tyres. Took my existing ones off and realised they are even lighter already (rubino pro). Returned the gatorskins to halfrauds.

JPEG_20200804_200423.jpg

Got some glasses.

IMG_20200805_175250.jpg

Some bontrager silicone grips and carbon bottle holder.

And ensuite coming along good in the HMO.

IMG_20200803_151817.jpg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Finished my son's Argon E-116 brake re-build; they now work better than they've done in a year. Whilst checking it over I noticed the jockey wheels were a bit gummed up so fitted new red ones. All ready for Saturday's TT near Doncaster and hopefully he'll not have a mechanical this time - photo from last Saturday in Darlington

TL_1_8_20b.jpg

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Red ones? That's got to be worth a couple of mph!! :smile:

Yes, photo from the drive side, please !!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Having kept the roof bars from our Passat in 2006 I was really surprised and pleased to see the clamp profile fitted the roof rails on our Seat Leon estate.
Having to transport our tandem soon, I tried to fit them yesterday only to find the cross bars are too short by about an inch- so a trip to Halfords is now required to find longer aero bar sections.... why isn't life ever simple?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Having kept the roof bars from our Passat in 2006... I tried to fit them yesterday only to find the cross bars are too short by about an inch- so a trip to Halfords is now required to find longer aero bar sections.... why isn't life ever simple?

Tried for 2 hours, between Halfords and VW in Silverlink, to sort out longer aero bars for the clamps I have... Halfords could only suggest buying a complete new Thule system... £240!

Thought that was ridiculous so home again...

I worked out if I left off the locking plastic caps off the roof bar brackets and inserted a neoprene strip under the brackets to protect the car rails they fitted without compromising the slotted bar connectors on the old cross bars. The locking ends end caps just prevent access to the hidden bolt fixings so unless someone has a matching tool from a set of 2006 VW Passat roof bar they can't steal them [unlikely]... success and £240 saved!

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I fettled a friends Giant road bike earlier in the week - he was complaining of a spongey front brake but none of the local shops could get it in anytime soon so I told him to bring it over :okay: It wasn't too bad but there was definitely some air somewhere so I did a quick bleed and managed to liberate some pesky bubbles :laugh: A quick test ride then revealed the brake was squealing a little at low speed and not performing particularly well, so I whipped the rotor and pads off and lightly sanded them then bedded them back in, all working nicely again :okay: Before I handed it back I checked over a few other bits and pieces and found a few other issues - rear mech cage slightly bent, chain rubbing on front mech in certain gears but most concerning was the state of the chain - my wear gauge dropped straight in and had enough spare room to wiggle around :wacko: I suspect it had never been changed and was well past its serviceable life. I gave my friend the good news and he picked the bike up that evening along with a shopping list :laugh:

This evening it was back so I fitted a new chain and cassette, tweaked the rear mech cage slightly and adjusted the front mech to get it all working nicely again :becool: He'll pick it up tomorrow, hopefully it's running nicely for him again otherwise I'm sure I'll be seeing it again soon :laugh:

I've helped a few people out recently and enjoy doing so - as with most people reading this thread bicycle maintenance is one of my hobbies but people still get very confused when I tell them I don't want paying because I had fun fixing it :laugh:

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
As I have been hearing a lot about garage break-in's lately, and more importantly bike theft from them, I purchased a pair of Enfield door bolts to support the spindly little pin that the older doors like mine have. However, as the metal is so thin (2mm approx) I decided to reinforce the door by making/riveting a steel plate behind each lock first. I'm sure the neighbours were thrilled when I disturbed their sunny Saturday afternoon with my Angle Grinder. I did apologise to a young lady who only moved in on the Friday and reassured that it doesn't happen often though :whistle:

JhnBssll

Veteran
As I have been hearing a lot about garage break-in's lately, and more importantly bike theft from them, I purchased a pair of Enfield door bolts to support the spindly little pin that the older doors like mine have. However, as the metal is so thin (2mm approx) I decided to reinforce the door by making/riveting a steel plate behind each lock first. I'm sure the neighbours were thrilled when I disturbed their sunny Saturday afternoon with my Angle Grinder. I did apologise to a young lady who only moved in on the Friday and reassured that it doesn't happen often though :whistle:

Great idea, can't be too careful and sounds like a 'proper job' :okay: We also seem to have had a spate of breakins in my area recently. I have gradually been improving my garage security over the past few years - I installed an electric roller shutter in place of the flimsy main door first, and more recently have removed the old wood and glass personnel door and replaced it with a modern reinforced composite door with a much smaller window. Both are held in with far more fixings than is really necessary, but at least I know if someone does get in I couldn't have done much more to stop them :laugh: Of course they'll also trigger the alarm and CCTV so I'll have a chance of either catching them at it or finding them later for a chat ;)

Top Bottom