What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Finally got around to taping the bars on my Eddy Merckx

Ghost66x

Regular
no idea what fettled means but ill post my new drive train that was completed today!!

2005 Norco Atomik

1x8 Drive setup
Truvativ Hussefelt 170mm Cranks
North Shore Billet -Norco VPS 12mm Derailleur Hanger
Raceface Narrow/wide SINGLE chain ring -9/10/11 spd - 32t
SRAM 8 speed cassette 11-32t
SRAM 8 Speed Chain
BOX Four 8 speed CLUTCH rear derailleur
BOX Four 8 Speed Single Click Shifter
Bontrager COMP series Shift cable and Housing - White for that accent!

No issues what so ever!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Out on my bike this morning and the front hub was grumbling all the time I was out, I looked at it after lunch and it was rougher than a badgers a**e, so I spent time this afternoon giving the hub a clean and regrease, black grease in one side, no grease in the other side with discoloured but still shiny balls. I'm not sure what was going on, I brought the wheel last summer and cleaned and greased it before I put it on the bike. I checked the back wheel and the hub is still running as sweet as a nut., the front is as well now I've sorted it.
Used to work with a fella who lived in a small Wiltshire village, and he said out there everything was as something as a badger, or part thereof. Had a similar experience with wheel bearings a while back, rear wheel, and it was an intermittent grinding that took a while to figure. The bearings were dry, and misshapen, so replaced and repacked the grease and all was hunky-dory again. Strange thing was the races looked perfect?

My CGR lives in one of the staff changing rooms at work, but today they were being painted

I went in there, at one point in the morning, to find my (usually carefully positioned to avoid falling/scratches) bike leant against a moved locker............ metal to frame :cursing:
Once I'd checked it, & put a towel around the frame as protection

Come home time, it was all still okay, but I had to try to find my t-shirt & bib-shorts, as they'd just moved everything that was on top of the lockers:rolleyes:

Heading up the drive, & over the recent refilled trench in the road, there was a rattle
Carrying on, waving an Ambulance crew I know, there was another rattle over a secondary trench

I stopped for a look, the uppermost stay on the rear mudguard had come away from the rivets
The inside plate was intact (I grease them every so often)

I'm assuming that the painters (or another staff-member) moved it/knocked it & the stay slid along the lockers breaking the (winters salt weakened?) rivets

On arriving home after my woodland diversion, I set to, for a quite literal 5 minutes!
1 x cordless drill
1 x 4mm bit
1 x cable-tie
1 x pair pliers (to cut tie)

Wheel out, then derailleur/chain covered with towel

Rivets drilled out

Cable-tie inserted & then cut

And........... no rattle!!:okay:

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
just put a new front tyre on the commuter to match the back one, wiggle lifeline commuter tyres 700x28 that are a lot wider than the stock kenda ones and hopefully better at protection.
Rode with one the rear the other day and it seemed ok rolling resistance wise and at £12.49 each worth a punt , next time i might go for the armored version
I fitted those to one of my bikes at the start of the year. Puncture on the first ride when a small piece of flint managed to get through the thinnest part of the tread, but no problems in the 300+ miles since. Seem to be quite a fast riding tyre and good value.
I've just junked both tyres after less than 600 miles. It turns out that the piece of flint damaged the carcase of the tyre causing it to rub on the inner tube causing another puncture.
Lifeline tyre problems (3).JPG

While the bike was on the stand, I had a quick check of the rear tyre and noticed that some of the rubber appeared to be separating from the carcase, exposing the puncture resistant strip (the blue layer) underneath
Lifeline tyre problems (2).JPG

I've contacted CRC to see what they think.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
@Jenkins could you not sand down that carcass and take off the sharp bits?
Possibly, but it's still a weak spot and I'm surprised that a small flint could cut the threads that easily. I've already fitted a part used GP4000 SII in its place

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
After receiving my cleaning kit order from Bike 24, I cleaned my son’s S-Works drivetrain first and then the remainder of the bike - the drivetrain was really dirty and he got stuck in too which was nice to see - he’s only 11. It has white bar tape and saddle and it’s so difficult to remember not to touch either during cleaning - I’ll stick to black on my bike when it eventually arrives :rolleyes:
First time using a ‘chain cleaner’ device with a reservoir of cleaning fluid and various brushes inside - fantastic bit of kit - the chain was sparkling when we’d finished , rinsed and re-applied lubricant.

Scott: fitted the replacement tyre. Then decided to remove the front derailleur and give it a thorough clean and lube.
It's still very difficult to get it to the big ring, on the stand anyhow. Will ride and see what happens.

Revell: more messing with the rear brakes. It occurs to me that I cannot preserve that undercurved cable run using dual pivots of any kind, because you can't reverse the adjuster and the pinch bolt as you can with these old Weinmanns. Somewhere in the spares box is a pair of Clarks MTB blocks for V-brakes. Will attempt to fit those during the next fettling session.

Gratuitous pic of the Revell with guards removed.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Tyre onto a second-hand carbon front wheel we'll use as a spare for my son's training bike. He's being moved onto carbon wheels from the Superstar Components ones he's used for about 4 years.

And bearings into his winter set of Superstar wheels. A winter's hammering in all weathers has turned the bearings gritty.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Laughing aside, I hate using either gt85 or wd40, I have a dull low intensity headache for a couple of days every time I use them, even if I wear a mask. Even the smell of it on the bike afterwards can make me nauseous. Am I the only one?

You must be over-sensitive. The only solvent that has any adverse effect on me is if I wipe stuff down with Xylene paint thinners for a prolonged period in a poorly ventilated area. That stuff will get you high and give you a bad head. So would the Trico 1.1.1. that I used to use at work 30+ years ago. Nothing else bothers me.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
You must be over-sensitive. The only solvent that has any adverse effect on me is if I wipe stuff down with Xylene paint thinners for a prolonged period in a poorly ventilated area. That stuff will get you high and give you a bad head. So would the Trico 1.1.1. that I used to use at work 30+ years ago. Nothing else bothers me.
Spending money bothers you........thats a given

Top Bottom