What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I arrived home form a weekend away to a set of compact flared gravel bars, brake levers & various cables and will be converting the OH's Gravel bike to dura ace bar end shifters and hopefully comfier bar set up (current ones are odd small diameter things and not very comfy). Hopefully the bar ends are easier to use with an slightly arthritic fingers, which object to changing chain rings. Cheaper than an upgrade to Di2!!

Well one set of brake levers attached to the bars, but discovered, as I feared the old cross tops are 26mm and I need 31.8mm for the new bars, so this one will be done in a few stages, might also need some new outer cable as the lengths may vary from old set up.....

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2:s BeOne now has a full set of new inner and outer cables plus bar tape after a gear cable snapped on Wednesday.

They were overdue but I didn't realise they had done 12500 miles :blink:

Attachments

• 9053899F-A1EC-4346-8683-B924946622E3.jpeg
    9053899F-A1EC-4346-8683-B924946622E3.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 8

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@Andy in Germany one of these chains:
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help/chain-replacement-derailleur-bikes

This was my brake pipe pannier rack hack. Two clips from the automotive shop for £1.50 in total. As you tighten the screw it squashes the hose bit into a tight circle and clamps down, same job as a p clip.

you might want some (white) electricians tape between clip and frame to stop it scratching it, especially if the screw works slightly loose and it moves a little.

november4

Dunno if it's a fettle but started using aftershoks bone conductive "headphones" to hear radar alerts personally, without my phone annoying others, works great and ears still open for enjoying the outdoors and old fashioned radar duties

A fettling fail from me today and an educational success on disc brakes. My front brake under load last week seemed not to be stopping immediately under load. So I ordered new shimano pads. Whilst it was the first time I've done it I quite quickly took out the old pads. However when I went to fit. Doh, comparing them to the original I realised there is at least two sizes of Shimano disc brake pads, GRX which I needed being smaller. The old ones actually looked clean and unworn so I refitted them and with the correct size of pad it was quick and simple. Bizarrely the wheel now seems to be stopping under load :-/

Last edited:

buzz22

A couple of my bikes got a clean and chains lubed this evening.

While I was lubing the chain on my 1980's Repco Monaco I remembered the last time I rode it I found the Suntour thumb shifters were digging into my hands when in certain positions.
These got located slightly inwards, a test ride showing it was much more comfortable.

20220814_190057.jpg

20220814_190012.jpg

The shifters came fitted to the Bullmoose bars I repurposed from an old mountainbike.
Even though I have more modern shifters on other bikes there's something about the simplicity of these friction shifters that make them my favourite by far.

A fettling fail from me today and an educational success on disc brakes. My front brake under load last week seemed not to be stopping immediately under load. So I ordered new shimano pads. Whilst it was the first time I've done it I quite quickly took out the old pads. However when I went to fit. Doh, comparing them to the original I realised there is at least two sizes of Shimano disc brake pads, GRX which I needed being smaller. The old ones actually looked clean and unworn so I refitted them and with the correct size of pad it was quick and simple. Bizarrely the wheel now seems to be stopping under load :-/

All's well that ends well.

I had my own moment on Friday; I had to take an old 3 speed chainwheel apart and put it back together; it took at least three attempts. At one point I realised i'd put the middle one on backwards. I have no excuse for this whatsoever, but it means I learned a lot about chain wheels...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been working on my old Cannondale CAAD5 today (<-- the one in my current avatar photo). The bike was making a few clicky, graunchy noises on the recent Dales forum ride, and the chain slipped a couple of times. I bought miscellaneous spare parts and then set about seeing what actually needed doing...

I bought a new bottom bracket. I thought the old one was probably okay but I wanted to get my Spa Cycles order over £50 to save £4 postage. I could not feel any play when twisting the cranks. I took them off and turned the BB by hand. It felt smooth. I put my ear against the downtube and turned the BB again. It sounded smooth too. I am fairly confident that the old BB is actually okay but I decided to put the new one in anyway just-in-case. I would be annoyed to put the bike back together and then discover that the old BB only plays up under load! The old BB is now in my spares box.

I thought that at least 1 of the 3 chainrings would need replacing but I am impressed by how little wear there is on them. I cleaned them up and had to do a double-take to work out which were the new ones. When looking closely I can see a little wear in 2 places on the middle and little rings, corresponding to the points of maximum force through the cranks during each revolution of the cranks. I will put the new rings in my spares box to keep the old BB company and rotate the old rings to new positions to spread the wear to less worn teeth. [Spa Cycles 110 mm and 74 mm BCD Zicral rings get a big thumbs up from me - they look good and last well.]

I expected the chain to need replacing but I have mislaid my chain gauge so I wasn't sure. I ordered a new chain in case I discovered that I needed one. I took the old chain off and measured it using my steel rule. It looks like it has very little wear on it. I measured twice and 12 pairs of links were significantly less than 1/16th inch over 1 foot i.e. less than 0.5% 'stretch'. I cleaned the chain ready to be refitted. The new one has been added to an increasingly well-stocked spares box! :laugh:

The cassette didn't look quite so happy... I already had one in my spares box so I evicted that to make room for the box's new tenants and replaced the worn cassette. I'm not sure if the chain slip on the last ride was due to the wear on the cassette. It seems plausible, although I have ridden more worn cassettes than that in the past without problems.

The combination of new cassette and BB with much cleaner chain and chainrings should be an improvement but I have one last job to do before the bike is ready to test...

I noticed that my SPD pedals have a little play and just a hint of roughness in their bearings so they need servicing. I have a much newer pair on the bike on my rarely used turbo trainer so I intend to swap those in but I went to do it and discovered that the older pedals are reluctant to come off. I've had enough for today so I have given the threads a good spray of GT85 and will leave that to soak in for a day or two.

At around 8.5 kg, the bike was pretty light when I put it together 20-odd years ago but that isn't especially light by modern standards. The UCI min limit for pro bikes is currently 6.8 kg. I just picked the bike up to bring it back into the house and it didn't half feel nice without the weight of cranks, chainrings, pedals and chain! I'd say like this it is closer to 7 kg. It makes me lust after an ultralight bike, but the extra weight isn't really a big issue. When the bike is back to its normal weight I'll still be happy with it. If I ever end up with £20k in the bank then maybe I would splash out, but the truth is by then I would probably need a HEAVIER bike... one with an electric motor in it! :laugh:

abcd efg

Über Member
OK I didn't actually fettle this today. I did it a few weeks ago.
This is the back of my rack, on which I can now mount a Garmin Varia light and a small Cateye light side by side. Neither mount was designed for this purpose, nor was the rack, so a good deal of bodging was required but both mounts have proven to be secure under real-world testing.

View attachment 569082

Thanks for a really quick response.

Cheers

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
8290CD8D-F188-4240-B4DA-689A5304DF8A.jpeg
I have a fettling problem, I discovered I have loose chainring bolts . It’s a Stronglight 2000 track chain set with captive back nuts for the bolts. The Problem the back nuts are no longer captive , there is no way to grip them . So any suggestions that don’t involve destroying the chain set or chain ring.

Top Bottom