What I've learned about shoes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My first proper road shoes were Shimano jobs with two velcro straps and a ratchet strap, which was okay to adjust on the move by reaching down. Recently I fancied new shoes with boas so I bought a pair of Specialized Expert shoes, which have one rudimentary toe strap and the main closure by a boa system. The boa is excellent, quick to tighten and release and you can adjust the tension easily even through neoprene overshoes. I guess I bought the shoes because they looked svelte and were on sale cheap.

But as the shoes have aged and stretched I've begun to realise that they are flawed; no matter how much you tighten the boa you can't stop your heel from slopping around, even if you tighten the boa to the point of cutting off the blood to your toes. I've tried other shoes and realised that it's the svelte shallow design of the Spesh shoes that prevents them from cupping your heel so last night I dug out the old Shimano shoes and... quite an improvement. So what now? My cycling buddy is rich and has top of the range Sidis which are a superb fit but I just can't justify that kind of money.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

vickster

Legendary Member
Find some Sidis on sale

E.g. https://www.bikechaincafe.com/cycling-shoes/sidi-road-shoes-79

or there are loads of other brands, Lake, Northwave, Fizik, Bontrager, Bont etc depending on your budget and foot shape

Or just get some newer Shimano of a similar design to your first shoes?

Use Wiggle or Sigma free delivery and returns to try a few

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get a pair that you 'cook' in the oven and of which they then mould to your feet.
I have a pair of Spiuk which do exactly that. 2 or 3 times I year they go on a baking tray and into the oven.

Top Bottom