What makes you fat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
rule of thumb is 50 calories a mile - almost speed independent
Not around SW London I'd argue (unless maybe if 20+ stone doing hill repeats in Richmond Park on a mountain bike)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
500 cals per hour for a gentle ride. 1000 cals for a hard hour
Using what scientific method?
450-500/hour sounds about right for my 30 cals a mile as I ride at 13-17mph (if lucky with traffic) on my flat rides on sub(urban) roads
That’s not a gentle ride for me, that’s flat out

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Who burns a 1000 calories in 20 miles other than Milzy? 600 would be more likely
I work on 40-45 cals per mile on moderate pace, moderately hilly rides. Hard, hilly rides round here, more like 45-50 cals per mile.

That's a guesstimate based on losing ~1 pound in weight on every 100 mile ride that I've done and ~1.25 pounds on 200s (kms - 125 mile rides) and takes into account what I eat and drink on those rides. Weights measured after fluid losses due to dehydration have been addressed.

I was going to link to Bike Calculator but it seems to be down at the moment. I think that came up with similar numbers.

PS
It was my laptop playing up. Bike Calculator is running fine and tends to support your figures on the flat. I average 2% climbing on my rides (20 metres ascent per km or 100 ft per mile).

Last edited:
Eating too much energy dense, substance lacking stuff, and booze ( pretty much empty calories) without moving enough to justify the intake, usually does it.

Milzy

Guru
[QUOTE 5403269, member: 9609"]i guess it depends a lot on ascent. a typical ride of 20 miles would involve 1000' ascent, from my own rule of thumb 1000' ascent = 10 miles on the flat. So a regular 20 miles would be comparable to 30 flat miles, 30*35= just over a 1000 calories. (and I would imagine speed and weight are also massive factors) its a difficult one to call.
but what ever rule you use it is very surprising how far you can ride on a small quantity of food.[/QUOTE]
I’ve just checked my Strava history since January & I’ve done lots of 20’s, these tend to be my on the rivet rides. On average 1000 calories, fairly flat courses.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Calories per mile at 12mph, by rider weight, level terrain

150lb/68.1kg = 48
175lb/79.4kg = 56
200lb/90.7kg
= 64
225lb/102.1kg =71
250lb/113.3kg =79

Source:
https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/

Not as cut and dry as that. It can be used as an extremely rough guide.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Agreed, but as a simple rule of thumb it works fine

Chapter and verse are in the link
Yeah, I saw that,

What’s The Most Important Piece of Bike Safety Equipment?
Bike helmets reduce head injury by 85%!

In lower light conditions drivers can easily fail to see a cyclist.

Make sure you’re visible, check out which bike helmet with built in light is best for you.

For further details on safety, see bike safety tips.:laugh::laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Agreed, but as a simple rule of thumb it works fine

Chapter and verse are in the link
Except it doesn’t seem to take BMR, nor age into account, let alone gender. So every individual of the same weight burns exactly the same calories. Seriously is that true?

Apparently on my flat ride of 20 miles today I burned 1500 calories. I should have had 3 more pastries. What a crock

The Fitbit / Strava which holds my age, gender, height and weights reckons 660 calories for the ride time/distance

Last edited:

presta

Guru
My average daily calorie intake vs average daily exercise hours:

Metabolism cropped.jpg

Milzy

Guru
Except it doesn’t seem to take BMR, nor age into account, let alone gender. So every individual of the same weight burns exactly the same calories. Seriously is that true?

Apparently on my flat ride of 20 miles today I burned 1500 calories. I should have had 3 more pastries. What a crock

The Fitbit / Strava which holds my age, gender, height and weights reckons 660 calories for the ride time/distance
Yes that’s BS I kill myself for 1000 on 20 miles.

CXRAndy

Guru
Using what scientific method?
450-500/hour sounds about right for my 30 cals a mile as I ride at 13-17mph (if lucky with traffic) on my flat rides on sub(urban) roads
That’s not a gentle ride for me, that’s flat out

Everyone is different, that would be a relatively gentle ride, where 20+ is a hard ride for me. Evidence is just from the analysis from Strava, Trainer Road for my efforts

Last edited:
Top Bottom