What mods/upgrades do you have planned for your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
I made just such a list for the Ridgeback mongrel a couple of weeks ago, as it happens.
Mudguards, kickstand and handlebar foam have since been bought and fitted, also a frame bag that wasn't on the list. I gave the bike a lingering look about an hour ago, and it's almost looking good enough that I wouldn't want to leave it locked up in public.
Still on the list:
  • MKS Lambda platform pedals
  • Possible conversion to mini V-brakes
  • New bottom bracket, cranks, triple chainring - I'm getting tired of the clicking now! That'll be a job for the LBS, because I can't even get the cranks off.

Oh, using this page - https://www.ridgeback.co.uk/about - I discovered from the logo that the bike is from 1998. I got it second-hand in about 2005.

fossala

Guru
Get your shoulder width measured, I'd be surprised if as a woman you need wider bars on a road bike. Try moving the hoods a little first? Too wide bars gave me tendonitis in my wrist, narrower bars cured it
I agree. When I use drop bars I prefer something around 38-40cm at the hoods otherwise I feel like I'm holding my body weight up. I'm a 5ft 10 average male.

Wanting to change the cassette on my road bike to a 11-32 or 11-34 but still trying to work out if I can squeeze a 34 without changing components.

You may be in luck if it's shimano -, shimano can for reasons best known to itself** be rather conservative with its mech specs. A bike of mine has a very nice old ultegra mech working with a big cog of 25. The specs seem to say the mech will handle only up to 27, but i have been dropped a wink that it will easily handle 28. ** One theory is that shimano is pandering to the egos of roadies who don't want folk to think they need more cogs.

Jody

Stubborn git
You may be in luck if it's shimano -, shimano can for reasons best known to itself** be rather conservative with its mech specs. A bike of mine has a very nice old ultegra mech working with a big cog of 25. The specs seem to say the mech will handle only up to 27, but i have been dropped a wink that it will easily handle 28. ** One theory is that shimano is pandering to the egos of roadies who don't want folk to think they need more cogs.

I have no ego when my knees start hurting :laugh: So great news if it will stretch another 4 teeth.

It's a Shimano Tiagra long cage which is currently running a 12-30

I have no ego when my knees start hurting :laugh: So great news if it will stretch another 4 teeth.

It's a Shimano Tiagra long cage which is currently running a 12-30
If it's a long cage you may be ok but not really my area of expertise. My exped bike has a 36 :smile:

wonderloaf

Veteran
My Diverge is pure satin black. It looks so sexy, but it needed a lift - hence the seafoam tape and small seafoam vinyl strips :wub: Definitely want to change the handlebar tape
I'm going for the monochrome look so black and white bar tape, black above the shifters and white below, purely for practical reasons as the black won't show up the grime so much. Just fitted a Fabric Line saddle with the white stripe down the middle which matches the white stripe along the top of the top tube (it's a Planet X Pro Carbon ). Problem is it's beginning to look a bit like Pepe Le Pew!
upload_2018-5-17_20-12-40.png

si_c

Guru
Cheap aero bars fitted to my Audax bike. Comfort rather than speed. Comfy 50km on the turbo and I’ll road test them on Saturday on a 200km DIY.
Definitely make longer rides more comfortable for me.

Edit: a slight tilt backwards and rotation inwards helped with comfort, although I'm using s-bends, so YMMV.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on a humble shorter stem.. I'm always skint and when I bought my road bike (secondhand) it had a really short stem (about 60mm) and it was scrunching me up a bit - I got a 120mm one for like £2 on planet x and put up with that being too long for like 18 months ish.. I've ordered a 90 and hopefully this will be better..

Funny how you look forward to even the smallest things though - I can't wait to try it out, and thinking more about this than a week at the seaside with wife and kids...... Oh I do hope it turns up in time to try :smile:

fatjel

Veteran
Better rack for the Kaffenback , the one I have is very flexible
Lower gears for the Spa. I'm thinking of an XT 26-38 which with the 11-32 cassette will give me some better climbing gears
Hopefully will integrate with the 105 5800 groupset

JhnBssll

Veteran
Having just spent this year's bonus I'm now busily planning my upgrades for next year :laugh: Judging by this year's sales figures it's not going to stretch too far so I'll be saving my pennies in a jar to top it up :laugh:

My main goal is to move to electronic shifting on the Oltre - dura-ace di2 if funds allow but more realistically it'll be Ultegra :okay:

The Roubaix will get the year old R8000 Ultegra kit from the Oltre

The Charge Plug will get the 2 year old Rival22 kit and my current aksium disk winter wheels from the Roubaix

The Claris bits and mechanical disks from the plug will be disposed of either to the bin or for spares on here depending on condition :okay:

Top Bottom