What mods/upgrades do you have planned for your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anyone purchasing items to build a rack and storage boxes, when they could just use the bag they already have, has more money than sense. ;)
There's always something wrong with the bags you already have - or is that just me? The last of my old single panniers has just broken for a second time - a metal frame pole has cut a hole through the fabric - and it's very tempting just to buy another (from a better brand) and let this join its twin as a shed shelf organiser.

Do many people have bags suitable to be left unattended on the bike with stuff in? Most of the time it would be too obvious whether it had stuff in or not and sometimes even what was there. It would be annoying if local thieves nicked my on-bike tools by knifing the bag, let alone if they nicked a (near-worthless but they don't know before they cut in) book I was reading.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There's always something wrong with the bags you already have - or is that just me? The last of my old single panniers has just broken for a second time - a metal frame pole has cut a hole through the fabric - and it's very tempting just to buy another (from a better brand) and let this join its twin as a shed shelf organiser.

Do many people have bags suitable to be left unattended on the bike with stuff in? Most of the time it would be too obvious whether it had stuff in or not and sometimes even what was there. It would be annoying if local thieves nicked my on-bike tools by knifing the bag, let alone if they nicked a (near-worthless but they don't know before they cut in) book I was reading.
That's the main advantage of the Topeak 'Click-Track' system , it takes a matter of seconds to remove the entire top bag and panniers.

View: https://youtu.be/Vqhf-hUWtyU

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's the main advantage of the Topeak 'Click-Track' system , it takes a matter of seconds to remove the entire top bag and panniers.
I don't see much advantage because it only takes seconds to remove crivit, Basil, Carradice or Ortleib bags and I suspect most others - if you're willing to carry possibly heavy and unwieldy bags around by a handle or on a shoulder strap. I think @SkipdiverJohn is after something he can leave unattended.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Anyone purchasing items to build a rack and storage boxes, when they could just use the bag they already have, has more money than sense. ;)

I didn't say anything about purchasing any items did I? It won't be a more money than sense job ^_^
The raw materials I have in mind are totally devoid of any expense, I just have to supply the labour to cut the stuff to size and do the fabrication. It's only going to need some basic metalworking tools and a workbench.
The things @davidphilips linked to are similar to what I had in mind, but a bit too small. I intend to make something big enough to cover the whole of the rear carrier platform and go as close to the seatpost as possible whilst being accessible from above, but I want to keep the width down so it doesn't affect mounts and dismounts. A square-cornered metal box is not as soft as a pannier if you bash your leg on it. MJR is correct, I don't want to have to remove the thing from the bike, I want it permanently attached with nuts & bolts and I want to be able to leave it on the bike when out of my sight in dodgy locations.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So your time is worthless then @SkipdiverJohn !?!

Don’t rise to that, just teasing, like my other post. :smile:

I rather like messing around making stuff, so I don't consider it a chore like doing housework. If I priced up the time as though I was getting paid at work, then yes, it might well be cheaper to buy something off the peg, but nothing off the peg is going to be the exact shape, size, and construction I want.

bpsmith

Veteran
I rather like messing around making stuff, so I don't consider it a chore like doing housework. If I priced up the time as though I was getting paid at work, then yes, it might well be cheaper to buy something off the peg, but nothing off the peg is going to be the exact shape, size, and construction I want.
Or as enjoyable during and when it’s fitted.

ActivR

Topeak 'Click-Track' system looks great, I thought about it, but I did not know what it was called. That's what I need. A lot of currency, buy I like this poe

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Topeak 'Click-Track' system looks great, I thought about it, but I did not know what it was called. That's what I need
It's not cheap but then it isn't expensive either, quality is excellent though.

Been considering going to dynamo lighting for my Racelight.....it's the one I'll use most in the winter so makes sense not to have to worry about charging lights all the time.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Unmodified one Berthoud saddle and fitted a new one to another bike. Both now have large set-back seat-posts, the Berthoud's having a limited adjustment.

Next thing is to look at a new frame. Checking out who's building nice ones.

After today's ride, I'm thinking 28mm tyres, for comfort (shoulder suffering from bumps with 23c tyres), and a 46-36-26 chainset, to really give me some low end grunt. Despite the huge cassette on the back, 52-42-30 is just too big.

Top Bottom