What mods/upgrades do you have planned for your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Will be fitting Fizik 00 Carbon bars and R1 Stem to my Helium SL, when I get around be to it. Need to cut the steerer and order the Bar Fly Fizik Garmin Mount. :smile:

Will also fit the Aeronova Ltd Stealth Aero bars to my Noah SL. They were on my damaged Sempre Pro.

Fizik bars are not internally cables, as have flattened fronts to position the cables. Aeronova’s will need a full new cable set.

After that, there’s nowhere to go on either bike. Although, if Shimano brought out a Wireless Di2...

Next mods to the Scott:
This: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s88p1710/SYSTEM-EX-Lightweight-High-Rise-Stem
Then some 28c tyres. The 23c's are just too hard for my shoulder.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Hmm, currently I'm using BTwin branded bottles which just won't do. I don't ride a BTwin, I ride a SPA! Soooooo, I'll be ordering a couple Spa branded bottles along with a head badge and replacement 725 sticker as mine got wiped out.
Some time after that, I have plans to ditch the 2200 STI units and replace with Dia-Compe v brake levers and thumbies mounted on the stem. I may go 9spd at the same time.
A pair of Schwalbe Landcruisers would be nice too for those extra adventurous days.
Lots of plans for my rig :smile:

davidphilips

Veteran
Always changing or upgrading on my bikes, brakes will be changed/upgraded on my galaxy, bought a used dura ace triple groupset for my sjsc, and have to build up my look 381, apart from that better bar tape for 3 other bikes, i was going to change my giant cadex from 8 speed 105 to 10 speed but after a long cycle today on it i think it cycles so nice it would be a same to change.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've been pondering the best way of carrying relatively small items (say book or small laptop sized) securely, but I don't like having a sweaty back, I like to have both hands free, and I'm not a fan of large panniers for several reasons. Saddlebags are OK up to a point, but are easy to tamper with when unattended. That got me thinking of rigid storage boxes permanently bolted to the top of a rear carrier and having a hinged lockable lid. Such a thing can also act as a mount for rear-facing lights and reflectors. The main challenge here is to keep the weight sensible. However, I salvaged several pieces of thin gauge aluminium sheet out of some scrap electronic equipment that I reckon can be folded up and riveted together to make a strong but lightweight weatherproof box which can also store roadside repair stuff. Just need to decide on dimensions and get on with the metalworking. Should be much more functional than anything I can buy off the shelf........

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I keep meaning to fit the Ultegra triple to the Raleigh Equipe, I've nicked the 105 GS rear mech off the Road Ace (That'll get the standard 105 that's currently on the Equipe) but things keep cropping up in life. One of these days though.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My touring bike, currently 7 speed with a 12-32 cassette, may well go 9 speed with a 12-36 cassette.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
would'nt it have been easier to just get one of those lockable motorbike/moped rear cases from a scrapyard, I don't expect they are too heavy.

I don't see motorbikes in scrapyards to anything like the same degree I see old cars and vans. They tend to be kept on the road for more years and then tend to be picked apart for salvage rather than just being weighed in. The kind of secure luggage cases you refer to are very useful things, but I doubt I'd easily find one the sort of size I want without modifying it. Motorbike cases can be pretty sizeable.

mikeymustard

Veteran
I'm planning on making myself a new saddle bag for the equilibrium; the current one -also made by me - does its job of holding stuff securely but looks like a squashed toad if it isn't stuffed to the bollox. It also doesn't quite match 'cos I'm colourblind and thought the writing was in green but turns out it's not!

Elysian_Roads

I don't see motorbikes in scrapyards to anything like the same degree I see old cars and vans. They tend to be kept on the road for more years and then tend to be picked apart for salvage rather than just being weighed in. The kind of secure luggage cases you refer to are very useful things, but I doubt I'd easily find one the sort of size I want without modifying it. Motorbike cases can be pretty sizeable.
There is an outfit on eBay selling ex US Military ammunition boxes to turn into panniers. Their ones are pretty expensive but maybe it is something that can be found cheaper elsewhere. Not sure about the weight in comparison to your proposed self builds though.

davidphilips

Veteran

£15 on ebay, with free delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Small-To...761019?hash=item4adb5b1b7b:g:VSQAAOSw9NdXwcmv

Attachments

• Tulips.jpg
    Tulips.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 72
Top Bottom