What old cycling technology don't you ever want to see again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll add a vote for Sturmey Archer 3 speed
especially on a Raleigh Elite - classic case of getting the difficult part over in the name
weighed about the same as a main battle tank

and - a thing called a dragster that my mate had in the 1970s - like a Chopper but Sooooooo much worse
long lever leading to the gear change on the bottom bracket - probably 2-3 foot long - leading to the good old sturmey archer 3 speed - but with added mechanical advantage - be a factor of several million
all in the hands of a teenage boy

Yah - the cable never lasted that long

mind you - he did grow up to be a superb Rugby player - could have played for Ireland but insisted on staying English as that was where he had always lived
but by the Gods he was strong - probably due to forcing that damn thing up hills in 3rd gear all the time

Oh - and - basically - any light than uses U2 batteries - just how much weight do you want in a light!!!

CharleyFarley

I like old technology. The more retro the better. Well, except for the penny farthing bike. And solid tires. :wacko:

never removed a cotter pin

tried once - didn;t have a big enough hammer

my Dad said that in the RAF during the war the first thing to do when you got allocated an RAF bike was to ride it to the nearest town and get new cotter pins - ride back and swap them over

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I like old technology. The more retro the better. Well, except for the penny farthing bike. And solid tires. :wacko:

Nowt wrong the a penny farthing. I had great fun on my day riding one - a splendid birthday treat from Mrs PP

classic33

Leg End Member
never removed a cotter pin

tried once - didn;t have a big enough hammer

my Dad said that in the RAF during the war the first thing to do when you got allocated an RAF bike was to ride it to the nearest town and get new cotter pins - ride back and swap them over
You were doing it wrong.

Chris S

Legendary Member
In contrast to the other thread.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/w...logy-etc-would-you-like-to-see-return.275229/

What old cycling technology don't you ever want to see again?

I'll start the ball rolling with 1970's Cowhorn handlebars, uncomfy saddles, cotter pins, short mudguards and brakes that don't stop.

Er, that's my dream bike :smile:

ccording-tom-ritchey-1970s-british-tracker-bicycle.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd rather have 3 gears that work than 3 dozen that don't. I suppose it all comes down to having the right ratios for the environment.

My main gripe with them, apart from too few gears, was slipping out of gear when grunting up hill. Fell off once doing that. The one occasion I was grateful for my dad buying me a raleigh folding shopping bike, so I didn't have a crossbar to squash my nuts on. To be fair other people seem to get on with them, but I wasn't impressed and could never get it adjusted so it worked properly. Should probably add I bought a Brompton (secondhand) but not quite got it back in use after various upgrades so I'll have to see how I get on with 3 speeds 45 years on from my last one

Last edited:
Top Bottom