What old cycling technology don't you ever want to see again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Steel wheel rims with terrible brakes.
42/52 chainsets with 14/24 blocks. No wonder I struggled up hills...
And those awful lights with Krypton bulbs that chewed through D-cell Duracells and still didn't light the road in any acceptable sense.
And finally - lights that used these.
crap battery.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Steel wheel rims with terrible brakes.
42/52 chainsets with 14/24 blocks. No wonder I struggled up hills...
And those awful lights with Krypton bulbs that chewed through D-cell Duracells and still didn't light the road in any acceptable sense.
And finally - lights that used these.
View attachment 590667
Petzl head torches.

Tribansman

Veteran
Oh yes. I had one...

Rocked from side to side. Had a totally ineffectual mousetrap type spring fo supposedly holding things.
My pannier rack was ok, it was the panniers that were sh1te! They had no buckle or clip or any way to fasten the bottom half of the pannier on to the rack. Bizarre. I had to use a couple of bungee cords, which nearly garotted me several times when they didn't clip on, and meant getting the bloody things off and back on was a real ballache. Definitely not missed!

totally shyte pannier racks
slightly mistifying in view of the Brit reputation (of old) for good engineering and if anything over-engineering stuff.
Can only think that it was because they didn't really expect folk to use them much/serious tourists being relatively rare/the tourists there were often being of the BO-ridden grizzeled types that would disappear for a week with just a carradice saddle-bag.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
When I got my 1st bike with square taper cranks, my dad couldn't see why the didn't stick with cotter pins
He never saw the problem with them. Hammering them out and making the threads unusable could be fixed by recutting the thread.

Top Bottom