What old cycling technology don't you ever want to see again?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But, they excelled in wearing out tyre sidewalls.
My Swiss made Nordlicht model has a rubber roller. I only use occasionally on the tourer my everyday dynamo is a superior hub style.
My bottle dynamo tech to forget is clamp on style mounts. They always rotate out. I use a braze on mount

D

Deleted member 1258

Steel wheel rims with terrible brakes.
42/52 chainsets with 14/24 blocks. No wonder I struggled up hills...
And those awful lights with Krypton bulbs that chewed through D-cell Duracells and still didn't light the road in any acceptable sense.
And finally - lights that used these.
View attachment 590667

I remember those, door bell battery, used on Wonder Light Lights, I'd have been better off with a candle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mountain bikes with long top tubes like road bikes of old. Made descents of anything moderately steep an exercise in staying alive on suicidal descents.

Still riding my old one, agree. Terrified myself at Gwydir forest, couldn't stop, roots, steep descent, walked some. Same descent, new MTB, whoosh straight down. The old one does muddy local rides now, with full mud guards.

Ouch
1622038692435.jpeg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Still riding my old one, agree. Terrified myself at Gwydir forest, couldn't stop, roots, steep descent, walked some. Same descent, new MTB, whoosh straight down. The old one does muddy local rides now, with full mud guards.

Old ones are great for what gravel bikes now do. But for full on traditional mountain biking, you definitely want the new geometries and suspension setups.

Top Bottom