What puncture repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markc94

Hi all,

Intending to do a sprint triathlon in a few weeks with ~20km of cycling involved.

Currently when out cycling I stuff a pump, tyre levers and a tube into my jersey. This won't be possible in a tri suit.

Would you recommend getting a saddle bag, using co2 instead of a pump, or getting some sealant spray? Or just leaving everything behind and hoping for the best?

I won't be competing to win but I would like to finish in a decent time!

Best,

Mark

ianbarton

Veteran
If you have got an old drinks bottle, use that. Pack it with some paper towel, to stop everything rattling.

Slick

Guru
Would a puncture at the roadside ruin your time? If not, the drinks bottle is a good one but if it would I wouldn't be scared to ride 20K without a repair kit as long as I had quality tyres fitted.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
When I used to time-trial I'd stick a tube, a lever and a very small CO2 inflator in my pocket, I wouldn't bother for a 10 figuring I could wait for one of the marshals to pick me up or walk back but for a 25 or over then yes. I always assumed I would get no more than one puncture, in practice I got none.

Tri suit? in a seatpack or frame pack, 50:50 I'd chance it for that distance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Get one of these from Decathlon:
zoom_48a7386c765a40c3a917660c654f8190.jpg
Plus some tyre levers, a Co2 inflator and a spare inner tube lashed under the seat with a bungee.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I like the drinks bottle idea. Some riders at the local evening 10 would claim having a bottle on the frame was more aero, they'd have an empty one for the 10.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You won't need water during a 20k cycle - you can get a slurp at both transitions.
You can get a tube, levers and a mini-pump into a 750ml water bottle.
A small under saddle bag could manage a tube, levers and a CO2 inflator and you could then keep this stuff out of your pockets for normal rides as well.
Having said that, getting a puncture on a decent road 20k would be massively unlucky.

OP
OP
M

markc94

What about those sealant sprays? Evans do one for £5 that supposedly seals punctures, has anyone got any experience?

OP
OP
M

markc94

Fiddly (with the valve); adds (rotating) weight to your tyres/wheels permanently; and can't then mend the tube, at leisure.
Better off fitting tyres with good (low) rolling resistance yet decent puncture resistance (eg Conti 4000s II, Michelin Power Competition - at the risk of derailling the thread): bicyclerollingresistance.com

I have a new set of conti 4000s ii on the bike, only done 150km or so on them.

You think that's enough?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Doesn't matter what I think, but those tyres have a good puncture resistance rating (see the rollingresistance link) so by having those you've mitigated the risk (as opposed to featherweight TT tyres. You'd only really be carrying a spare tube/levers/mini-pump to get you back to 'base': the race would be over. Guess it depends on your risk threshold and how puncture prone you (on the roads you're riding and their remoteness (or not)) are.
Fwiw my 4000s managed Mille Pennines and London-Edinburgh-London in 2017 without 'tyre concern'.

clockworksimon

Über Member
I carry sealant spray on the basis that for a simple puncture it can get you back on your way quickly without having to remove wheel and tyre etc. Accept that the old tube wont be repairable but no problem as they are cheap. In a race or when its windy and raining I figure this is worth it. I also have decent tyres and generally carry 2 tubes plus levers and pump, although would consider risking just the sealant spray in a short tri.

Slick

Guru
What about those sealant sprays? Evans do one for £5 that supposedly seals punctures, has anyone got any experience?
Yeah, my BIL swears by it and was desperate to try it when I got a visit on one particular ride. My wheel looked as if someone had stuck a cream donut in a bag and stomped all over it by the time he was done. It was quite embarrassing when I eventually took it off him and fixed it old school.

MountainSide

I just use some electrical tape to bundle up a lever, tube of glue, some patches and a little square of sand paper together and then use some more tape to secure it to the inside of the frame seat stay above the wheel. I do have a separate holder for a mini pump on the down tube though too.

My only issue having recently transitioned from casual shorts with pockets to lycra is where to put the 5" phone, keys and cash. I have some jerseys with pockets and a jacket in the winter but would ideally like a small saddle or frame bag but not sure I have enough space below the saddle. Might start a new thread for suggestions?

Top Bottom