What the oldest bit of technology you own that still works?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
If a chain whip is technology, I still use my Dad's pre WW2 one.

My Philips kitchen radio was given to me as a kid sometime in the early 70s. It was always underpowered for what I wanted to pump out of it but it still works, albeit with a bit of crackling at times. I intend to keep it running to the end.

Commodore Amiga 500 and Atari ST 1040.

Kept by my uncle with the intention of giving his collection to my sister's children when he died. When he did, they expressed zero interest in it, so came to me.

Also have an Amiga 500+ which, despite being several years younger, is severely damaged because, in their wisdom, Commodore mounted batteries on the motherboard which inevitably burst, covering the board and chips with corrosive battery acid.

I've taken it apart. One day I'll get around to fixing it. One day.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
We have an heirloom freezer rusty 3rd hand freezer in the shed, circa 40-50 years old still
I've got one of these...

The Texas Instruments TI-30 from 1976.
View attachment 585464

I don't use it but it does work.
My Dad has a Sinclair model of a similar vintage, looks like this (albeit with faded colours) and is still kept in it's original velvet pouch!
1619268400048.png

Our oldest working tech would be an original 48K ZX Spectrum, 1983 vintage. I plugged in recently to check it worked, and showed the kids what I used to spend hours playing with. I was surprised my TV still had the necessary UHF tuner.

Slightly older than that would be our "heirloom freezer", which has been owned by 3 generations of the family. I should replace it before it leaks and causes a new hole in the ozone layer.

I've got one of these...

The Texas Instruments TI-30 from 1976.
View attachment 585464

I don't use it but it does work.
Yep - had one of those, and as a result pi is now permanently seared into my brain :laugh:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
We have an heirloom freezer rusty 3rd hand freezer in the shed, circa 40-50 years old still

My Dad has a Sinclair model of a similar vintage, looks like this (albeit with faded colours) and is still kept in it's original velvet pouch!
View attachment 585487

Our oldest working tech would be an original 48K ZX Spectrum, 1983 vintage. I plugged in recently to check it worked, and showed the kids what I used to spend hours playing with. I was surprised my TV still had the necessary UHF tuner.

Slightly older than that would be our "heirloom freezer", which has been owned by 3 generations of the family. I should replace it before it leaks and causes a new hole in the ozone layer.
I still regret selling my Spectrum :sad:

Top Bottom