What the oldest bit of technology you own that still works?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Bio technology? šŸ˜‚
Otherwise it's a Sugden A28 amplifier from about 1983
Nice :becool:
I still use my QUAD 303's* as my main system, first launched in 1967 my oldest is from 69-70 and the later puchased one (lefty) is from about 72

* they are a Stereo Poweramp but as I've got 2 they're wired as 2 channel 'mono' to my B&W speakers with the 'shorting' bars removed so one channel powers the tweeter and the other the woofer on each speaker.

Where in the photo is it?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Lovely deep tone and that wait for the sound to come through is priceless!
See, weā€™re more similar than it may appear at first glance :okay:

On the vintage radio front, Iā€™ve thought about coding a DSP filter that will reproduce warm-up, crackle and hum effects on my internet-fed radios. Hifi quality doesnā€™t always lend speech radio sufficient gravitas.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Still use mine:

https://vintage-technology.club/pages/calculators/casio/casiofx29.htm

Too many bells and whistles on modern scientific calculators for me.

View attachment 585542
That's the same as mine.

Somewhere upstairs is a solar powered calculator I got when I was - I think - doing 'O' levels
which would have been 75 or 76

I also have (as someone said a few pages ago - an 'N' guage railway set in a box upstairs - most of the engines worked OK when I last tried it - that was from the early 70s

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Until a few years ago, I had one of these in the workshop. It fell out of use and when I went to switch it on to check it still worked, the wooden case literally fell to pieces - the worst woodworm I have seen. It appeared to be dust held together by varnish. I couldn't find any takers for the chassis so it went down the tip.

a122.jpg

See, weā€™re more similar than it may appear at first glance :okay:

On the vintage radio front, Iā€™ve thought about coding a DSP filter that will reproduce warm-up, crackle and hum effects on my internet-fed radios. Hifi quality doesnā€™t always lend speech radio sufficient gravitas.
My Daughter, 19, has an original Dansette that she plays her vinyl on so something has filtered through.

That feeling of taking a record out and dropping the needle on is a thing to behold, I feel sorry for the kids of today.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My Daughter, 19, has an original Dansette that she plays her vinyl on so something has filtered through.

That feeling of taking a record out and dropping the needle on is a thing to behold, I feel sorry for the kids of today.
Ah the Dansette, how many pennies has it got taped to the headshell to stop it skating or has she 'upgraded' it to have 2p pieces fitted with blutac :laugh:

Top Bottom