What's the greatest distance you have cycled in 1 day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
A smidge over 100 miles is my biggest, I'm ashamed to admit (in this company at least). It was some years ago though and I'd see that as a truly mammoth challenge these days, in fact I probably won't ever do it again in my lifetime. Maybe in the next. šŸ˜„
I'd say about 70-80 is the most I'd want to cover in a day now.

Slick

Guru
I recently went round the coast from Dunoon, over Glen Finart and the two hills up to Rest & Be Thankful and back to Glasgow via the Garelochead road, it is a great ride.
Quite a nice ride the other way either via Loch Lomond or via Glen Fruin if your adverse to a cycle path. The rest is closed right now and will be for months apparently, but another great challenge ride when it does open. šŸ‘

Twilkes

Guru
Quite a nice ride the other way either via Loch Lomond or via Glen Fruin if your adverse to a cycle path. The rest is closed right now and will be for months apparently, but another great challenge ride when it does open. šŸ‘

I didn't know that, shame as it's an iconic ride in that part of Scotland. I went from Glasgow over Gleniffer Braes to Largs, then the old road to Gourock so the ferry really opened everything up. I've tried the Balloch to Tarbet cycle path before but some of the surfaces were abysmal, never been over Glen Fruin though.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

Iā€™ve done a couple of 100 mile sportives- went off route on one so prob about 105 miles all in (battery on Garmin died so donā€™t have a record of that one). Stopped being fun after about 80 miles. Most Iā€™ve done recently is a 50 miler. Could go further but cant be bothered!

Slick

Guru
I didn't know that, shame as it's an iconic ride in that part of Scotland. I went from Glasgow over Gleniffer Braes to Largs, then the old road to Gourock so the ferry really opened everything up. I've tried the Balloch to Tarbet cycle path before but some of the surfaces were abysmal, never been over Glen Fruin though.
Your not wrong about the surface on that path but a coup,e of miles past Duck Bay and you take a left as if heading for Helensburgh then straight on to Glen Fruin at the first roundabout that takes you out at Arrochar. Even that on it's own is a nice scenic loop. šŸ‘

a.twiddler

Veteran
Interesting topic. I can't match the Herculean exploits of some posters but the theme seems to be that most have got something life enhancing out of their rides. The most I have managed in a day was waaay back at Easter 1981 when I did an Audax event as part of an Easter tour of Wales and the borders using YHAs. It was grandly titled "Across the Desert of Wales", the premise being that the route of the Audax was very sparsely populated. The distance was nominally 200km/125 miles and the hills, the hills, my God, the hills. There were an awful lot of them. The base was Staunton on Wye YHA, sadly long closed like many others particularly the simple ones. I was a YHA Youth Group leader then though on this occasion I was on my own. I remember it being a blisteringly hot weekend, not raining as I would have expected in Wales.

The route was Staunton-Kington-Rhayader-Abergwesyn-Beulah-Builth Wells-Glascwm-Michaelchurch on Arrow -Staunton. However by the time I had reached Builth Wells I had decided to take the longer but less hilly route via Glasbury and Hay on Wye as my legs were giving me some concern and I couldn't face any more major climbs. I had impressed myself by out twiddling some serious looking racing types earlier purely because they didn't have the gearing to climb some of the pitches on the mountain roads and were walking, but most of them had sailed past me once the roads became less extreme. By the time I got to Staunton my cyclometer was reading 145 miles and lying in bed that night I could still feel the road vibrating beneath me. My heart rate remained high until I fell asleep, completely wrung out.

The next day I could barely move but motivated myself to cycle stiffly to Hereford to do the touristy things -about 20 miles round trip. I had booked to stay the night at Staunton before continuing with my Easter tour on the following day.

Although I did another Audax at a later date, they were not really my thing. I did some 100 mile days, some of them back to back and felt fine after them while doing tours and YHA weekends over the years. It's a while since I've done 70 miles in a day, more usually 20-40 but I have been stretching the distance more this year with lockdown etc.

francovendee

Ɯber Member
Really impressed with the distances people manage.
At 77, I find 50 miles is more than enough now. I've never managed more than 65 miles even when I was younger and fitter. I do ride a heavy bike (16 kg) so I hide behind this as my excuse.:sad:

Top Bottom