What's the stupidest thing you've heard about bikes - by someone who should really know better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This thread just reminded me - where is @ragingroadkill ? (aka "user/guest").

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I haven't got a head for heights... I'm going to buy a Red Shark Bike Board instead - it will be great for bombing up and down the Rochdale canal! :okay:

Those tribars are a good option - aerodynamic drag is very significant once you exceed, er, 5 km/hr! :laugh:

Really disappointed by that video - was hoping for a hydrofoil!

God knows how many watts you'd need to produce!

JhnBssll

Veteran
I asked for a set of taps in a local branch of motor spares once and was directed to plumbase. My favourite wasn't mechanical though, I once asked a shop assistant in a supermarket where I might find the soured cream, only to be told there isn't any - they throw it away once its past its sell by date :wacko::laugh:

Chislenko

Veteran
A well respected MOT centre locally once failed my Alfasud because the handbrake wasn't working.

It works just fine says I.

No it doesn't, look he says as he put the rear wheels on the rolling road, pulls up the handbrake and nothing happens.

He was quite red faced when I told him the handbrake was on the front!

Quite how he had done the MOT without noticing I don't know.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
So... went the conversation, cyclists should pay tax. Then onto cars... mmm I'm thinking of getting all electric, they are tax free, really? Says I, yes they are zero emmisions. I laughed so much I broke wind.
I recall having an exchange with someone on a car forum I am member of, who as commonly believed, cars should have priority over cyclists at all times because of not paying "road tax". However, for some reason, he wasn't so keen on priority being given within road users based entirely upon upon the amount of VED actually paid.

On the matter of people who should know better, Mrs B is a good example. She doesn't like me night riding because I might have an another accident in the dark. However (pre Covid), leaving home at 5:20am for just over an hours commute to work was OK, despite this meaning that for most of the year I left home in the dark, for many months rode most of the way in the dark and in the middle of winter would be travelling home at least part of the journey in the dark, with more cars around me than if I was out at 1am .:wacko:

pawl

Legendary Member
A up mate your wheels are going round.
Get off and milk it

Dick heads That was probably me and my mate aged ten

Drago

Legendary Member
However, for some reason, he wasn't so keen on priority being given within road users based entirely upon upon the amount of VED actually paid.
I would be up for that! :laugh:

"You was lucky to get 1,000 miles out of a chain. They're only good for 800 miles." Professional bike mechanic in a bike shop.

With a rider of my weight, with my quads that pretty close to the truth. Im very pleased indeed if a chain is inside 0.75 after 1200 or so miles (not those diet km things the foreigners use).

mustang1

Legendary Member
Good points!

I don't particularly care about whether it's wet or dry, but I did want to ask about it, just to know if it was prone to washing off. I don't think the guy even understood what I was on about.

I've actually used WD on a commuter in a very wet UK city for half a year with no problems. Thing is, I'd given my drivetrain a deep clean with some white spirit, so running it on degreaser alone after that didn't seem like a great idea. (I doubt elbow grease alone counts as lube :smile:)
Yup I hear ya. I'm glad the wet and dry versions exist. My hubrid which is always sitting uotside only ever gets wet lube and my MTB usually gets wet lube as it's usually going through a puddle or two even during summer off road ventures. The road bikes get a mixture, weather dependent but I really like the dry lube, it's so... uhm, ceramicky.
One day I'll try WD40 too.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Some years ago before the current bike trend popularity, a cyclist was waiting for his friend at a corner who then showed up (a pedestrian) who then said "hey you're on a bike! who do you think you are, laaaance armstrooong?" with a haughty laughter.

Top Bottom