What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redlight

London-Wales-London for me too. Rode it as a PBP qualifier in the days when it was called Seven Across but I'm anticipating an even more enjoyable ride this year with the addition of some fully catered controls. Just got to get the legs working...

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Probably a DIY by GPS for me as my work rota seems to clash with every event on the calendar within a 100 miles of me.
I have been working on this route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20585318 Uses quiet roads where possible and a stretch of canal path through Gloucester.

Starts at Magor out through the Forest of Dean for a late beakfast at Soudley Dean Heritage Center café(opens 10am. )Onwards to Tewkesbury and Lunch in the Royal Hop Pole at about 100 kms.

Back via Gloucester on mostly quiet roads hen down the edge of the Severn through Epney and Berkeley over the Severn Bridge then back to Magor.

Most of the Hills are in the first 50 kms in the Forest of Dean where the scenery will compensate you for your hard work.

Anyone wishes to use the route feel free and let me know how it goes.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Probably a DIY by GPS for me as my work rota seems to clash with every event on the calendar within a 100 miles of me.
I have been working on this route https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20585318 Uses quiet roads where possible and a stretch of canal path through Gloucester.
Anyone wishes to use the route feel free and let me know how it goes.

You'll have to pm me before you do that one @Banjo. I live on the opposite bank of the canal, just before you turn off for Elmore. You can either drop in for a cuppa (or something stronger) or I'll join you for a few miles.
When I work out a route for September, I'll leave out the bits around here, seeing as you will have done them already, and I'll go for something a bit more Cotswoldy. Can't fault your route planning, by the way.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Unfortunately I crashed on the decent in to Keighley on the Red Rose and what was going to be a comedy sprawl on to the pavement was interrupted by a lamp post :sad: I have badly fractured my shoulder so the rest of the Audax season is on hold :sad:

Paul
Oh no . terrible luck. hope your shoulder mends quickly. GWS

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
My next audax will be a DIY 600 in Belgium with a couple of clubmates. I say Belgium, but we're actually starting in Dunkerque (France) then heading through Belgium to Maastricht to do a bit of the Netherlands, and on as far as Aachen, just over the border in Germany, before turning round and heading back, so four countries in one weekend.

Will be interesting to see how the route turns out since I've cobbled it together using a combination of Strava, RideWithGPS and Google Street View.

Redlight

And good chance we'll see the LlanfairPG 400 riders on their way back from Holyhead as we cross Telford's suspension bridge to Menai which [USER=18206 said:
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.30;-4.21;6&l=wind&t=20170513/21[/QUOTE]

Yes, they caused me some confusion as I arrived at Menai in a befuddled and soggy state. I hadn't mentally placed the "new" control and seeing them coming from the direction of the "old" control sent me off on autopilot and resulted in a little unguided tour of Menai town while I worked out what I'd done wrong.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I arrived at Menai in a befuddled and soggy state
Hope you all got round. Met @tatr at the finish: he'd been finished ages (but had had far less sleep :biggrin:). Broke my front derailleur cable at the start of the descent to Bronllys. Limit screwed it to the middle (42t) ring at the control and bought a replacement at Rhayader (Clive Powell Bikes is just west of crossroads), and fitted it in a few minutes in the sunshine. Good coffee (and cable snips) too.
Still dry for me at Menai (18:51, 293km) but into the rain from the Snowdon Ranger YH onwards. Quadruple whammy: tired, raining, fresh headwind and dark. However we had a good weekend's weather on balance: mild by day, a bit of sun, warm at night and a tailwind part of the time. Glad I wasn't riding it in today's (Monday's) conditions.

Last edited:

tatr

Hope you all got round. Met @tatr at the finish: he'd been finished ages (but had had far less sleep :biggrin:).

It was great to meet you!

I was extremely happy to finish the BCM in 32 hours as that is right on-plan for LEL (20kph average + sleep stops).

Saturday night was defintely type B fun. I got into bed at Kings YH wet through, shivering uncontrollably, and ready to swap my bike for a taxi ride back to civilization. 3 hours later with my kit dried out I was feeling much better and ready to go again.

Sunday was one of the best days of my life, mostly pootling along on my own at a gentle 20-25kph in the sunshine with no time pressure. Then after finishing I spent the afternoon in the pub eating back all the calories I'd burned off plus a few extra.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I have just entered the Peaks and Troughs running from Dore on the outskirts of Sheffield.
This will be my third year riding this tough 100k course around the Derbyshire Peak District.
Superb sticky date cake at the end provided by the organisers is worth the 5 quid entry on it's own.
The 200 is a bridge too far these days though.

Top Bottom