What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
You could remedy that with a bit of Essex lane lovin'

http://acme.bike/index.php/winter-anvil-series

:biggrin:
I'm planning to do The Stansted Airport Express next weekend!

jiberjaber

Veteran
I'm planning to do The Stansted Airport Express next weekend!

We had a nice route check yesterday, very cold start for them daft enough to ECE it but the main event was just about right for the time of year... loads of deer about to see also! :smile:

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
We had a nice route check yesterday, very cold start for them daft enough to ECE it but the main event was just about right for the time of year... loads of deer about to see also! :smile:
Yep, I saw the chilly pics on Twitter! Just need to kick this cold during the week and I'll be along to enjoy it!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have to write a prototype routesheet then test-ride my new 400 sometime soonish. 'Tis likely to be a slightly tedious experience, with me trying to memorise a series of instructions rather than stop every 5mins to write them down.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have to write a prototype routesheet then test-ride my new 400 sometime soonish. 'Tis likely to be a slightly tedious experience, with me trying to memorise a series of instructions rather than stop every 5mins to write them down.

Could you captain a tandem with your stoker sat at a desk behind, writing shorthand notes? Is it a West Country 400?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I should try out the phone app. At the moment I don't quite trust it to be 100% reliable.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Unto Agincourt this Saturday with @Donger hopefully .Still trying to get rid of last remnants of manflu .About 50 50 at the moment. Still got a chesty cough and feel rough. Slept all afternoon today.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Unto Agincourt this Saturday with @Donger hopefully .Still trying to get rid of last remnants of manflu .About 50 50 at the moment. Still got a chesty cough and feel rough. Slept all afternoon today.
Feeling exactly the same, Banjo. Just did my first ride for nearly 2 weeks today. On the mend, and I'll be there. Got to finish the Century a Month Challenge as early as possible in the month. Be good to meet up again. Looks like a nice route along the banks of the Wye. Shame we don't seem to be doing that fantastic descent into Monmouth, but should be a nice ride anyway. Cold weather gear, I reckon.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Last Saturday was Mark Rigby's (Black Sheep Audax) Kings, Castles, Priests and Churches 200km from Tewkesbury (I'd say there were about 60 at the start). Bit of drizzle right at the start (0730) persuaded me to put my jacket on, but that came off after 20 minutes (sunrise), and stayed off. Temperature was about +5 rising to maybe +8. Some dry roads, some muddy. Fine views, particularly north after the hill out of Ludlow. Then across the 'Lingen Alps' for a brief excursion into Wales (Presteigne). Info control highlight was spotting Presteigne's "Judoes House" mentioned in the brevet ("How many stone pillars?"). Found said stone pillars and assumed 'judoe' was Welsh for 'judge' only reassessing this later and decided it was most likely a rypo! The profile of the route meant we'd done nearly all the 2000m climbing by 116km (top of the climb out of Kingston, powered up by chips from Kingston's Angel Fish Bar) so the last third was flattish down to and along the Wye valley and across to the Severn. Teamed up with a rider (Simon) from Bristol for the final 55km after he'd put his second inner in after his second (slow;)) puncture. Company made the miles roll by, as the sun set behind us. His (rather expensive) Hope somethingorother headlight started wobbling: the case seemed to have failed where the fixing is to 'slot' onto the bar fitting; so he was left with (a decent) be seen front flasher on his headtube. My headlight provided enough 'spot the pothole' beam for us both but in the dark, out in the cuds near the M50, with ten km to go he had his third puncture. I (stopped and) provided light to augment his torch, and one of my spare inners, and in minutes few we were on our way to the 'arrivée' at the Royal Hop Pole in Tewkesbury. Many thanks to the organiser and the various welcoming controls: Flowerdews in Bromyard, Boarder Bean in Kingston and Lock's Garage/Services/Shop by Winnal Common.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
This coming Saturday I’m starting Audax Club Bristol’s new GWR ride Abbeys and Roads (205) which starts in Bristol, heads over the Cotswolds, up to Gloucester, along the Wye Valley, through Wales, over the Severn Bridge and back to Bristol.

They are also doing a sister 100km event a little later the same day.

Top Bottom