What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Whilst sitting here waiting for Dr to call me back, as I still havn't 100% balance back after vertigo on boxing day.
I have signed up for my first ever audax, the Cambridge Pork Pie 200k. Hope I don't regret it only ridden once this year
so far and it wasn't pleasent due to balance issues.

It is a good day out. Hopefully will not be too cold for you.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This: http://www.allpointsnorth.cc/

1000km, May 24-27, no specific route. I've just been offered a place ... :hyper:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

1000km, May 24-27, no specific route. I've just been offered a place ... :hyper:

Interesting, though I do wonder with these find your own route, you are on your own, nothing is manned; how much it will feel like an event? Feels like a mix between a DIY and something organized. They pick the controls you pick your order and your route between, little to no interaction with others during ride.

Last edited:

DCLane

Interesting, though I do wonder with these find your own route, you are on your own, nothing is manned; how much it will feel like an event? Feels like a mix between a DIY and something organized. They pick the controls you pick your order and your route between, little to no interaction with others during ride.

That was my thought: one of the rules is not riding with others. However I do know a few of them.

My initial route-planning appears to have been scuppered by opening times, so a rethink will be needed. It's X-rated and more DIY than usual events: I've done a 750km DIY as part of my London-Edinburgh-London preparation (Pocklington-Great Easton-Pocklington) so am OK with riding solo. In fact most of LEL was ridden solo due to protecting an injury.

DCLane

OK - I've entered the following as preparation for All Points North and PBP, although I'm unlikely to ride that:

24 Feb - Mere 200
8 March - North Riding 300
13 April - Everybody ... Skeggy 300
27 April - Moors and Wolds 400 - TBC if riding
4 May - Llanfair 400
Then the All Points North on 24-26 May
15-16 June - East & West Coasts 600
22-23 June - Yorkshire via Essex - again TBC

Ajax Bay

Guru
[Less than] 1000km, May 24-27, no specific route. I've just been offered a place ... :hyper:
My initial route-planning appears to have been scuppered by opening times, so a rethink will be needed.
I drafted a route for this, inspired by your post last month (not riding it: have BCM the week before), and have just had a message from someone saying "Hi! I just wanted to check if you realised that the route you've plotted on Ride with GPS for the All Points North event is public - anyone can view it! You may with [sic] to make it private. Cheers, Tori [Gray] All Points North"
Looking at it I see 11 have looked at it, and I have not shared the link (so they must have searched for 'Points' and 500k + starting near Sheffield on RwGPS).
I replied "If other riders are inspired by my draft route that's brilliant. Do you think it's a good one, Tori? I have tried to optimise it for distance, climb and quality of roads."
ETA: There are some other routes on RwGPS which I think must be people 'aving a larf'. Look at this one: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28938273?beta=false (route to and from Great Dun Fell).
If you wanted to get this as a DIY as well then I think proving it by a gpx file would be easiest.
http://en-gb.topographic-map.com/places/England-66577/

Last edited:

DCLane

I drafted a route for this

They're wanting to keep routes private, which I can understand. My biggest issue with a route is that at least one checkpoint has opening hours and that dictates what's possible.

Ajax Bay

Guru
They're wanting to keep routes private, which I can understand. My biggest issue with a route is that at least one checkpoint has opening hours and that dictates what's possible.
Off topic (unless you are going to DIY this as well).
I had a think about why they might think riders keeping routes 'to themselves' might be a good idea, but other than wanting every rider to make the effort to plan their own route choosing what order to take the controls in, I can't think of the reasons. Since you "can understand that they want to keep routes private" please can you suggest why?
Pending that I'll remove the link in my post above, though this won't stop people finding it if they are capable of the 'search' function. ETA: Have worsened route, and changed name and start place.
There are some other routes on RwGPS which I think must be people 'aving a larf'. Look at this one,
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28938273?beta=false
in particular approaching Great Dun Fell from Alston, and descending from the fell!

Last edited:

DCLane

I had a think about why they might think riders keeping routes 'to themselves' might be a good idea, but other than wanting every rider to make the effort to plan their own route choosing what order to take the controls in, I can't think of the reasons. Since you "can understand that they want to keep routes private" please can you suggest why?

To answer that on here - they've added a rule in for riders to ride solo akin to the Trans-Continental. Sharing routes to me wouldn't do that but if they've asked riders not to in order to prevent riding together that's why I can understand their actions.

However, looking at the entrants list I'm sure there are a few who will ride together.

Skuhravy

Veteran
Pending that I'll remove the link in my post above, though this won't stop people finding it if they are capable of the 'search' function.
There are some other routes on RwGPS which I think must be people 'aving a larf'. Look at this one,
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28938273?beta=false
in particular approaching Great Dun Fell from Alston, and descending from the fell!

What a total amateur - they should have routed past the 24-hour McDonalds in Consett :laugh:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I've not got the "Windrush Winter Warmer" out of the way yet and I've gone and signed up for the "Bill's Theocsbury Ramble" and the "Character Coln" as well. A rush of blood to the head.

Top Bottom