What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
A Mr Rigby qualifier next. Fixed or gears is the question.
Benjamin Allen? A no brainer, some of us like our knees because we've had so much trouble with one of them. Gears. Watching all the fixies weave up to Tortworth cafe last weekend on J&G made me wince in sympathy with their knees! Looks a lovely route.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Won't be doing the Windrush Winter Warm-up tomorrow. Drove out that way today to do a reccie. This was to be the first turn within half a mile of the start ....
DSC01928.JPG

And this is what the little road along the Windrush looks like today ......
DSC01936.JPG

This was near the Fox at Little Barrington at lunchtime .....
DSC01937.JPG

A cold night in store, and it's supposed to still be minus 4 degrees by the start time, so COUNT ME OUT. No way I'm doing a 68 miler in those conditions. Beware, everyone else.
Donger.

Always Cross

Veteran
Thanks Donger I was booked in to do this but decided not to because of the snow and ice. Nice to have my choice confirmed not sat here now at 0900 wondering if I should have tried doing it.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
A cold night in store, and it's supposed to still be minus 4 degrees by the start time, so COUNT ME OUT. No way I'm doing a 68 miler in those conditions. Beware, everyone else.
Donger.

I was going to enter the 150km one after civilised J&G last weekend, presumed closing date was Weds so was caught out Sunday night to find closed. Quite glad now! We used to live in Minchinhampton so well used to the "double every where else in valleys" form of snow/ice measurements. Friend who was entered hasn't gone. I believe 10 have started, must have studded tyres surely|?

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Benjamin Allen? A no brainer, some of us like our knees because we've had so much trouble with one of them. Gears. Watching all the fixies weave up to Tortworth cafe last weekend on J&G made me wince in sympathy with their knees! Looks a lovely route.

Well, having fettled the one with gears, I decided to take the fixed.

I was half an hour late starting (no-one told me it was a 7.30 start). I began to catch a few before the first control, which I bounced. Beans-on-toast at Hay, halfway, seemed like a good idea. There were lots of riders around now. I didn't hang around before continuing via some icy, potholed, grubby lanes to the Forest of Dean, whereupon the road became a bit more challenging in a vertical kind of way.

After Hopewell, the final control, I had to walk a 1:6 and then use the 24"gear again in Cinderford. There were a few more sketchy lanes to negotiate before the final main-road run to the finish. As it got colder again, it was definitely a case of pressing on to keep warm. I managed just under 10hrs, if you don't count the late start.

That's the first qualifier done.

I am doing the North West Passage 200k this weekend. The weather looks good and it is a good opportunity to get my 100mile ride in for Februrary. I have also booked onto the Mere 200 the weekend after, hopefully the weather will stay as mild!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well it was going to be the Braziers but left it too late and entries now closed. So will extend ECE into a full blown route but divert south instead of doing the Audax when I get there. Need to get the distance back in legs ahead of PBP qualifiers. Time to collect some ABC village signs.

Domus

Guru
North West Passage 100K will be my first Audax. A little apprehensive especially as it is 121K.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
North West Passage 100K will be my first Audax. A little apprehensive especially as it is 121K.

It's a bit of a different one due to using busier roads because it's February. Nice route and I was hoping to do the ride but can't match it with my son's day at Manchester velodrome.

I've a clubmate riding the 120k though.

We have booked a 150km D.I.Y for tomorrow, (held over from last weekend)
Then we have another 150 or maybe 200 DIY on March 2nd,

After that we have entered the following Calendar events
30/3/19 Bomber County 200km
6/4/19 Wiggy Spring 100km
27/4/19 Lincoln Imp 100km
6/7/19 Rutland and Back 200km
13/7/19 In Memory of Tommy 100km
3/8/19 To the Races 100km
28/9/19 Witham and Blues 200km.

May and June are looking like we will have a couple of DIY'S one of which will be a 'West Lindsey Boundary 200km'

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just entered the Wye Wednesday next week.
First 200 of the year on Kent roads I know very well.
Long term forecast is looking quite favourable.

Top Bottom