Wheelset on a budget

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
A tip for you all getting the cheap Shimano wheels. Remember to clean and regrease your bearings every couple of thousand miles or so depening on the conditions you are riding in. They are a cup and cone set up rather than a sealed unit bearing and so do need periodic maintenance.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

View attachment 18148
That's what they look like, make sure you get or have the longer stem inner tubes my spare set are too small so i need some more, good job they are cheap lol.

Ooh, they do look nice. They are quite heavy though (2001g), I suppose it's better than the stock wheels and you'll be saving about 700g bringing the bike down to sub 10kg. Are those the R500's or the R501's with the old stickers?

Psyclist

Über Member
Never heard of them, on that basis, I could not recommend them!

Superstar are an MTB based budget parts maker. They make 'blingy' parts for Dirt Jumper and mainly DH bikes.

There are debatable views on my main website on quality of their products. They do have good warranty, but (to the O.P) I would avoid those wheels and go for Mavic Aksiums. As I am doing myself.

Typhon

Just seen this thread. I'm also seriously thinking about upgrading my Triban 3's wheels. I just made this post in the Triban owners club about my research:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/triban-3-owners-club.121260/post-2278800

Those Pro-Lite Braccianos at £218 are bloody tempting though! My only slight concern is would they be as robust as Fulcrum 5s? The roads are deadful round here, I do my best to avoid the potholes but if there's a car coming up behind you, sometimes you just have to take the hit.

I'm 13 st 2 lbs, will be getting down to about 12 stone over the next few months so hopefully no issues with weight? I don't carry anything with me on the bike so it's just me, the water bottle and the weight of the bike basically.

Also is there any reason I couldn't fit conti gatorskins to these? And would that be a wise move? I know there's probably faster tyres out there but for leisure rides/winter training being 'almost' puncture-proof is more important to me.

Phil485

Are Those pro lites going to be ok for a 95kg rider, doing 200 miles or so a month. Are they going to be too light weight for Surrey commuting

andsaw

Ooh, they do look nice. They are quite heavy though (2001g), I suppose it's better than the stock wheels and you'll be saving about 700g bringing the bike down to sub 10kg. Are those the R500's or the R501's with the old stickers?
There 501's with 500 stickers, been out today and they feel great takes the shocks very well its like riding a new bike again, there well better than the stocks, why do people get hung up about wheel weights, unless your a proper racer and weight counts, like carbon stuff, then to the everyday riders who commutes or pleasure, then riders shouldn't notice the difference, not avin a go at you Jazloc, just in general.

Typhon

Regarding the pro-lites - the manual on their website suggests getting their own make of brake pads so there is no wear on the rim. Are they worth getting?

They're only £8 so it might be worth going for if I do get the rims. Maybe it would improve the braking of the Triban, which isn't great. Especially after 1300 miles or so.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29093

Also, is it complicated to change a rear wheel? (this is my first bike since I was a kid so I have never done anything like this :blush: )

Peteaud

Veteran
Regarding the pro-lites - the manual on their website suggests getting their own make of brake pads so there is no wear on the rim. Are they worth getting?

They're only £8 so it might be worth going for if I do get the rims. Maybe it would improve the braking of the Triban, which isn't great. Especially after 1300 miles or so.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29093

Also, is it complicated to change a rear wheel and change brake pads (this is my first bike since I was a kid so I have never done anything like this :blush: )

Those are for carbon rims.

Typhon

Those are for carbon rims.

Ah ok, so they can't be used with alumimium rims then? I've tried searching for their own make of alloy specific brake pads but can't find them anywhere, so not sure why they would say what they do in the manual as they only do carbon ones.

Ah ok, so they can't be used with alumimium rims then? I've tried searching for their own make of alloy specific brake pads but can't find them anywhere, so not sure why they would say what they do in the manual as they only do carbon ones.

You can use pretty much any type of pad on any type of rim if needs be, although obviously different compounds may work better than others on different rim types. The only thing to really avoid is switching between aluminium and carbon rims without changing pads, as the aluminium debris in the pads may damage the carbon. Other than that - use whatever works best.

Typhon

You can use pretty much any type of pad on any type of rim if needs be, although obviously different compounds may work better than others on different rim types. The only thing to really avoid is switching between aluminium and carbon rims without changing pads, as the aluminium debris in the pads may damage the carbon. Other than that - use whatever works best.

Ah ok thanks.The manual does say "use pro-lite carbon/alloy rim pads with pro-lite aluminium braking surfaces" so as I can't see alloy ones anywhere then the carbon ones should do.

Typhon

Yeah that's why I asked ;) But the Triban's pads aren't great and after 1300 miles and some heavy breaking down some of the big hills around here they could probably do with replacing anyway. For £8 I'm not too bothered if it is just a bit of a con on their part to get you to buy theirs!

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything in the manual about rider weight. Hopefully at 13 stone 2 I would be ok. I'm just a bit concerned I'd hit one of the big pot holes around here and combined with my weight it wouldn't be too good for those lightweight wheels. I've read reviews that say the Fulcrums are more sturdy and are good for winter training so that's the only thing that's holding me back from buying the pro-lites at the moment.

Top Bottom