Wheelset on a budget

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

I read something about a smiliar set of wheels earlier which said that if you're 80kg or under you'll have no worries and if you're 80-105 kg you just need to keep an eye on the spokes and if you're over that they advised not to buy them! So I guess we just need to keep an eye on them.

I think I'm going to take the plunge, the offer is just too good to turn down and I think if I got the fulcrums I would be thinking "what if". Just need to decide on some tyres to go with it now!

Peteaud

Veteran
Yeah that's why I asked ;) But the Triban's pads aren't great and after 1300 miles and some heavy breaking down some of the big hills around here they could probably do with replacing anyway. For £8 I'm not too bothered if it is just a bit of a con on their part to get you to buy theirs!

Unfortunately it doesn't say anything in the manual about rider weight. Hopefully at 13 stone 2 I would be ok. I'm just a bit concerned I'd hit one of the big pot holes around here and combined with my weight it wouldn't be too good for those lightweight wheels. I've read reviews that say the Fulcrums are more sturdy and are good for winter training so that's the only thing that's holding me back from buying the pro-lites at the moment.

I am heavier than you and have a set on order.

Peteaud

Veteran
I kind of wish I'd never mentioned these wheels on Friday night - a lot of folk ordered them now... hope they are stunning or I'm gonna get lynched :laugh:

But if they are nice you may get some beers.

I just hope CRC have them all in stock, knowing my luck with online sales they will send me a bag of apologies of none in stock
^_^

Typhon

I kind of wish I'd never mentioned these wheels on Friday night - a lot of folk ordered them now... hope they are stunning or I'm gonna get lynched :laugh:

:laugh: Yep we are, especially as given your mileage you should know better. ;)

No but seriously my Triban is my first ever road bike and the wheels that came with it are so cheap Decathlon will sell you a set for £25. So almost anything compared to these is going to seem like a big upgrade. :tongue:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
A tip for you all getting the cheap Shimano wheels. Remember to clean and regrease your bearings every couple of thousand miles or so depening on the conditions you are riding in. They are a cup and cone set up rather than a sealed unit bearing and so do need periodic maintenance.

That's the main reason I went for Mavic Aksium's when I was after a budget wheelset to replace the shoot that came with my bike. I would rather just replace the fairly inexpensive sealed bearings than having to bother maintaining cones etc. They have been great too.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There 501's with 500 stickers, been out today and they feel great takes the shocks very well its like riding a new bike again, there well better than the stocks, why do people get hung up about wheel weights, unless your a proper racer and weight counts, like carbon stuff, then to the everyday riders who commutes or pleasure, then riders shouldn't notice the difference, not avin a go at you Jazloc, just in general.

Everyone will notice a significant weight reduction in the wheels. Changing from the Triban wheels to Pro-Lite will be what, 700-800g saved?

Typhon

And my jealous-o-meter has increased by 60%

Don't worry I'm sure you'll still notice a massive difference with your wheels compared to the originals!

Everyone will notice a significant weight reduction in the wheels. Changing from the Triban wheels to Pro-Lite will be what, 700-800g saved?

Yep about 700g. I always notice the difference when I go for a long ride and take a second water bottle and that's roughly the difference in between so I'm sure I'll notice the difference here.

I think I remember someone saying the tyres were 400g, I'm guessing that means in total. If so that's about the same as the gatorskins I've ordered. If not then that's another 400g saved too.

Top Bottom