When and how far do you go cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Michael8

Regular
I work 4 on 4 off shifts and cycle to work when possible. On my days off I will get out and ride as far as my legs will take me, normally 4 hr round trip. It's a great feeling when you do this and it sorts out my diet better than any other exercise. Not out on the bike today though as I have to wait for the washing machine repair man who said he could arrive at anytime between the hrs of 08:00 and 16:00. Nothing worse than waiting, bored, bored, bored.:banghead:

If I can get out it's usually mornings starting between 07:00 and 09:00 and ranging 40-60 miles in 3-5 hours depending on terrain and stops.
I do like the odd 30-mile blast now and again in about 1:40

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
My riding is too inconsistent to describe well, but includes typical 20-30 miler weekend rides, weeknight 10 mile faster/interval/strava type ride, slower rides with my nephew and numerous trips to shop/pub by bike. I have to vary it as I get bored easily, some weeks I run 3 days so cant cycle as much, other weeks ill cycle 30+ miles everyday and not run at all. Sometimes ill go for an easy flat route, other times Ill go for something relatively hilly, on my own I usually cycle not far off my maximum pace, but with other people it tends to be a fair bit slower.

Sandra6

Veteran
At the moment whenever the sun is shining and the kids are occupied elsewhere or supervised by somebody else!
In a normal week I tend to go out around 10am a couple of times a week for 15-20 miles which will take me up to 2 hours depending on the climbs I encounter. I cycle just over a mile to work in the afternoon and home again at 5. If it's nice after tea mr6 and I will go the 4 miles along the cycle path and then back. He did once persuade me to do a "proper" ride but I was exhausted after 10 miles and had another 10 to get home.
Saturday's it's indoor spin class in the morning and maybe a family cycle of about 8 miles in the afternoon, and on Sundays we try and do 20-30 miles together before lunch, but I'm at the point now where I feel I need to be going further.

yello

I don't work so the day's mine. I prefer to go out early (particularly at the moment when the afternoons are so darned hot) and do anywhere between 40 and 100km. I do that maybe a couple of times a week. Weds afternoon is the club run and that's around the 100km mark as a rule. I do longer rides infrequently and usually only if I'm preparing for an event (like LEL, PBP, etc), though I have done 150 - 200km rides just because.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I cycle to and from work most weekdays, 20 mile round trip and at weekends, life never begins much before 10am so it's either a late morning or afternoon pootle around the Fens on farm tracks, bridleways etc- 20-30 miles usually. I'm often in NW Norfolk too, so circuits of Holkham and the Wells area are my favourites there. It's a 40 mile ride there via Ely and Lynn stations, though I sometimes do the whole ride which is 70 miles or so. Late on warm Summer nights, mainly at weekends I'm often to be found cycling around local nature reserves doing glow worm surveys. These can be fantastic trips, normally 25 milers, especially on clear nights with just a few owls/ woodcock/ quail/ grasshopper warblers etc for company.

mattobrien

Guru
Generally speaking I'll try to go out in the mornings during the week, ideally one 21.5 mile loop and on 34 mile loop.

At the weekend I'll try to go out early Sunday morning, usually starting about 6am. That way I can get back in time to help out with family stuff without taking up too much of the day. If it's a road ride I have a 56 mile loop, or if it's MTBing then there's a local reservoir 6.5 miles from me, so I'll cycle there, round twice and home.

Time permitting, this time of year I'd like to be doing 75-100 miles a week, slough life does tend to get in the way for time to time.

I have also started to cycle for transport a lot more, so this can up mileage but usually in short journeys

Nearly there

Veteran
When Im at work(nights) I try and get an hour in before my shift about 16:00 so cover about 15 miles but on my days off I tend to ride around noon for around 3 hours a time,some days I feel fitter than others and that dictates how long I ride.I ride 5 days a week .

Just now I commute daily which is 20mile round trip. This is soon to be extended to 50mile as the work is moving but that's a couple of year away and I'm not sure I fancy some of the areas I'll be in coming off a backshift. I'll play it by ear. Right now my youngest is about to start school, so when I drop the kids off when I'm backshift the rest of the day will be mine and I plan doing longer runs before work. Then again I may just sit on the big comfy chair.^_^

Weekends I prefer 35-60 mile runs. No time schedule. I go when I get up and fed. Hate going to bed thinking I've got to be somewhere at a certain time. Once or twice I a year I do 100+ but I hate it afterwards. Then as that feeling fades I get the hankering to do it again.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I commute either 5 or 8 miles each way depending on which campus I'm teaching. Do some evening rides when kids are in bed (in winter as well), I also ride either Saturday or Sunday depending in what's going on, those rides will be between 40-80 ish miles.

400bhp

Guru
commute - 7am, return 4-5pm. 10 miles each way, 5 days a week.

Longer ride, usually saturday mornings (probably 40-45 weeks of the year) 50-100 miles.

Plus family rides with wife and little un. A few hours in the summer every other sunday (10-30 miles) on average, and 1-2 week rides after work (5-15 miles).

Michael8

Regular
ok never went any where today as I said in an earlier post, waited in for washing machine repair man calling out between the hours of 08:00 and 16:00, stayed in all day and he arrived at 18:30. What a waste of a whole day :angry:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Well... I have gone through a period of no motivation to ride for some months so since getting my cycling mojo back my milage etc is quite a bit less than I was doing some 6-9 months back.

ATM I tend to wake up and ride the turbo trainer for 30-45 mins per morning, varied intensity, some mornings just a light spin, others interval or tempo sessions, I use a HR monitor and monitor my cadence throughout to approximate my effort levels. I would like to simulate a 10 mile commute twice daily to compensate for simply living so close to work that I don't have a real commute so in addition to my training ride in the morning I try to do a further 30-60 mins, easy spinning mostly in the evenings, probably taking in about 20-25 miles a day during the week.

Then on the weekend, take in a few miles of utility cycling to and from places (probably about 10 miles on Saturday, nothing much, then I rest) then on a Sunday I try to get in a longer ride, 30-40 mile.

I tend to do most milage on the turbo trainer, simply because of time and logistics. Getting out every day when I don't have a commute takes time and preparation and carries potential for delays etc, on the turbo, I can be out of bed and on the turbo within about 3 steps, I can get in a solid workout (probably a better one than on the road tbh) then shower down, grab breakfast and start my day all in good time. Some people find them boring to ride, I don't really get bored on it.

Top Bottom