When and how far do you go cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Being retired i go out as often as i caqn during the week,i find Saturdays the roads are just too busy,like today Otley,Ilkley then it got quiet after Bolton Abbey.any distance is good but 40- 60 miles regular and once a year 100 not done that yet.Last year it was Market Weighton 104.74 is the best mileage this year.I have ridden less this year due to the rubbish weather.

Normally I will do 20k at ave 3~4% on the Turbo 2 or 3 weekday afternoons and 100k on a Sunday (usually hilly 1500m+)

Other than cycling to work, I don't have a rigid schedule and my usual restriction on distance is light (or lack of to be more accurate) but I like to get a decent ride in. IIRC Last Sunday was 100, Wednesday evening was around 40 miles and Thursday evening was around 42miles. I'm waiting for a large'ish delivery tomorrow hopefully it comes early so I can get out for a decent spin, today was just several walks to town (about 10 miles in total).

D

Deleted member 1258

Commuting 5 days a week, 13 miles a day, out on a Sunday morning 2 or 3 times a month, mostly on my own but I will do a club ride occasionally, Sundays rides normally between 50 and 70 miles. I'm grounded this weekend due to a gum infection, on antibiotics and trying to rest as much as possible to give it a chance to heal. Next weekend I'm on a charity ride for the Myton Hospice, 60 mile ride plus riding to and from the HQ.

D

Deleted member 1258

Dave - i have been invited to ride the hospice charity ride. Might see you there!!!!!!

If you spot me come and say hello, I'll be the little fella with grey hair and beard on a white Kilmeston. I'm planning on doing the 60 miles route.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Three or four rides a week, i'd say minimum 17 mile, maximum 30, though it's all up and down hill around here.:heat::thumbsup: . I sometimes go out in the early afternoon but it's normally between five and seven o clock when i set off.

I have been out of action for a while and so the past 2-3 weeks have only been 10-12 miles every other day; I used to regularly cycle 70 miles, living in the foothills of the Brecon Beacons this is no mean feaf as there is no way to avoid hard, long climbs...

On average I reckon I do 3 to 4 return commutes of 7-8 miles each per week + some local errands on the commuter making 40 miles. Work commutes are around 07.00hrs and 21.00hrs. I also try to get at least one ride of 40 - 60 miles on the road bike and set off after rush hour. This week I have been lucky and managed a 40 miler and a 54 miler! Once a year I get a week to myself and take off cycle camping. I normally do 50-90 miles per day on my loaded tourer at this lucky time!

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Am lucky that i start work early and am back in the house at mid-afternoon time, I try to get out twice during the week and once at the weekend, I try to do about 50 miles each ride during the week and try and get over 60 miles at the weekend ride, I've only been cycling since the start of the year and I only got my road bike at the end of April, I've done over 1300 miles on the road bike since I got it and my strata app says an averaging 140 mile a week, which I think isn't to bad, out a bit as I have my first sportive at the end of August...

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

bloody hell, seems like I have a LOT of catching up to do :sad:

I think I could easily do more were it not for my weight and time restrictions.

I was thinking of doing 2 rides a day, but at the moment my quad muscles in my legs just tremble all day after my morning spin. Any advice would be great........and you don't need to say lose weight because that's the exact reason I'm here

I do the bulk of my riding between september and may ... i overheat during the summer!

Typical rides are either a 22, 30 or 37 mile course, usually straight out of work at 5pm arriving home around 7-8pm.
This "season" i'm trying very early rides, out the door at 4.45am sharp, round the block (30) home, shower, bike to work ... seems nicer
in the early hours. (Less wind around the fens).

Also i like a decent blast around the lame thetford forest "black route", also longer offroad rides along the peddars way or norfolk coast paths,
and occasionally a cycle ride up a mountain (snowdon).

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

saw a couple riding up the "easy track" on Snowdon in March, they were a pair of machines! I was walking down and it was very steep in places so I deffo wouldn't want to be trying to ride up it.

Top Bottom