When and how far do you go cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any advice would be great........and you don't need to say lose weight because that's the exact reason I'm here
Ride because it's fun not because you have to. That doesn't mean you can't set goals and try to improve times and distance just don't make it compulsory - that way bitterness and failure reside. Weight loss is best done over time with lifestyle change. The cycling will get easier the more you do. Good luck.

bloody hell, seems like I have a LOT of catching up to do :sad:

I think I could easily do more were it not for my weight and time restrictions.
I was thinking of doing 2 rides a day, but at the moment my quad muscles in my legs just tremble all day after my morning spin. Any advice would be great........and you don't need to say lose weight because that's the exact reason I'm here

I started from scratch in march 2010. Weighing 16stone 4 pounds ... now 14 stone 1 pound.
Aim to increase your pedaling speed ... so whatever gear you're in immediatly click down two lower. (Sounds weird, but will reduce muscle stress).
I used to grind at 60 turns of the pedals per minute, now i can happily buzz the mountain bike at 85rpm ... and go right up to 100rpm before
"bouncing" off the seat.

Watch your intake calories! Just because some calculator/bike computer/phone app estimates you've burnt 1000 calories on a ride ... don't go
shovelling in an extra 1000 calories as they're always wrong!!

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
bloody hell, seems like I have a LOT of catching up to do :sad:

I think I could easily do more were it not for my weight and time restrictions.

I was thinking of doing 2 rides a day, but at the moment my quad muscles in my legs just tremble all day after my morning spin. Any advice would be great........and you don't need to say lose weight because that's the exact reason I'm here

the weight loss will come, i`ve lost 3 stone 4 lb through cycling, and i`ve only been cycling for roughly 8 month

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

I started from scratch in march 2010. Weighing 16stone 4 pounds ... now 14 stone 1 pound.
Aim to increase your pedaling speed ... so whatever gear you're in immediatly click down two lower. (Sounds weird, but will reduce muscle stress).
I used to grind at 60 turns of the pedals per minute, now i can happily buzz the mountain bike at 85rpm ... and go right up to 100rpm before
"bouncing" off the seat.

Watch your intake calories! Just because some calculator/bike computer/phone app estimates you've burnt 1000 calories on a ride ... don't go
shovelling in an extra 1000 calories as they're always wrong!!

I've been taking in roughly 2000 cal a day. It's been harder the more I ride and I find I'm really hungry in the morning. I'll have porridge with a table spoon of honey and a tablespoon of flaked almonds at 7.30am for breakfast, but by 10-11am I feel like I'm about to crash out. I have my lunch at 2pm, and going 6 and a half hours without smething to eat is really difficult.

I've been taking in roughly 2000 cal a day. It's been harder the more I ride and I find I'm really hungry in the morning. I'll have porridge with a table spoon of honey and a tablespoon of flaked almonds at 7.30am for breakfast, but by 10-11am I feel like I'm about to crash out. I have my lunch at 2pm, and going 6 and a half hours without smething to eat is really difficult.

You're doing better than me!! I've seriously not watched my diet since i started cycling in 2010 (probably why i've "only" lost 2 stones over 4000 miles).
Had a large donner, large fries and three cans of normal coke saturday night. xx(

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I used to eat shoot looads, i could put food away like there was no tomorrow...now all i eat is a big bowl of ceral for my breakfast red milk witn that, for lunch i have 2 sandwiches and these are big badass sandwiches, plenty salad with wafer thin chicken and cheese, for my t at igh all i have is 2 apples, 2 bananas and 2 muller light youghurts...when i come back from a cycle i eat the sandwiches that i normly have for lunch with a big glass of milk..

it`s the drink at the weekends thats the killer, i stopped drinking for a while and that was hard as a liked my beer at the weekend..

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

I've dropped my weight from 25'10 to 24'9 since I started. At the minute everything I pick up food wise, I'm looking at the calorie content, and if it has more than 5g of fat per 100g then it gets left on the shelf. I could probably be stricter but the fact I don't eat fruit or salad is a big issue for me. And fruit juice, I didn't realise 1 carton of OJ has 500 or so calories!!! I was gutted.

And fruit juice, I didn't realise 1 carton of OJ has 500 or so calories!!! I was gutted.

you don't need to drink the whole carton in one go....

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
I try to get out every day normally leaving home at first light before the traffic and the heat get too much. I live on the edge of the Korat Plateau and can either head west and get into the hills or east for a flattish ride. If I head west, I have an 8 km undulating climb with a few kilometres of home, not a nice start to the day!
In Thailand, we only have three seasons - hot, hotter and wet and we are now in the wet season. I have had to cancel 5 rides this month due to rain.

OP
OP
Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel

okay so because I don't eat oranges, that automatically means that I neck the whole carton of OJ in one go? Sorry, I should have noticed that earlier :headshake:

Top Bottom