When does a vehicle related incident stop being a vehicle related incident?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was thinking about this the other day when i was nearly doored. Ok,if the driver of that vehicle had knocked me off my bike with his car while driving it i could claim off his insurance,like i did the other year when i was hit by that boy racer,but would being doored be classed as a motoring incident? It's not really an RTA as the car wouldn't be moving, so would the car be classed as a vehicle? Another example. If a driven car caused me to fall off my bike by the driver acting in an aggressive manner,again would it be classed as vehicle related,as technically i wouldn't be hit by the vehicle. I'm just wondering at what point do insurance companies say "You weren't hit by our client's insured vehicle while it was moving,so we won't give you a payout"

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The car does not have to be moving. All it needs to be is a motor vehicle on a road.

I hope this clears it up. If it doesnt. Google it.

Drago

Legendary Member
In order for a reportable or recordable RTA (or RTC if you're politically correct) to occur there must be 3 elements:

1) A road or public place.
2) A motor vehicle
3) A person other than the driver must be injured, or a vehicle other than the vehicle at fault must be damaged. Alternatively, property can be damaged, and certain animals constitute property, including Cow, Horse, Ass, Mule, Pig, Sheep, Dog, Goat.

A vehicle does not need to be moving or even attended in order to be involved in, or even considered at fault in an RTC.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I was thinking about this the other day when i was nearly doored. Ok,if the driver of that vehicle had knocked me off my bike with his car while driving it i could claim off his insurance,like i did the other year when i was hit by that boy racer,but would being doored be classed as a motoring incident? It's not really an RTA as the car wouldn't be moving, so would the car be classed as a vehicle? Another example. If a driven car caused me to fall off my bike by the driver acting in an aggressive manner,again would it be classed as vehicle related,as technically i wouldn't be hit by the vehicle. I'm just wondering at what point do insurance companies say "You weren't hit by our client's insured vehicle while it was moving,so we won't give you a payout"

Doesn't matter if the motor vehicle is parked or moving for it to be considered an RTC. Take a read at this http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/8-9/16/part/I/crossheading/accidents/enacted?view=plain

If in any case, owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road, an accident occurs whereby personal injury is caused to a person other than the driver of that motor vehicle or damage is caused to a vehicle other than that motor vehicle or a trailer drawn thereby or to an animal other than an animal in or on that motor vehicle or a trailer drawn thereby, the driver of the motor vehicle shall stop and. if required so to do by any person having reasonable grounds for so requiring, give his name and address, and also the name and address of the owner and the identification marks of the vehicle.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
In order for a reportable or recordable RTA (or RTC if you're politically correct) to occur there must be 3 elements:

1) A road or public place.
2) A motor vehicle
3) A person other than the driver must be injured, or a vehicle other than the vehicle at fault must be damaged. Alternatively, property can be damaged, and certain animals constitute property, including Cow, Horse, Ass, Mule, Pig, Sheep, Dog, Goat.

A vehicle does not need to be moving or even attended in order to be involved in, or even considered at fault in an RTC.

How can a motorist see good people die?

Drago

Legendary Member
That incident was a disgrace, and Grayling should have been dealt with firmly for it. If the transport secretary himself can't set an example, then what hope is there for the rest of us?

alicat

Legendary Member
Except it would have been his driver that got done... and it’s the Met, who don’t really give a sh*t about cyclists.

Too right, last time I nearly got doored it was by a Met police officer who claimed it was all my fault for cycling in her blind spot! I considered reporting her but thought they would close ranks.

Top Bottom