When was the last time you......fell off your bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This morning riding along the rough stretch of cycle track, my front wheel skidded sideways on a slate and I was diverted into the verge, a handily placed wooden post stopped me going down the bank into the river. I managed to stay upright.
thanks to your cat-like reflexes!

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
(When was the last time you......fell off your bike ?)

Last time was about 2 years ago. Cycling across West Berkshire countryside in very wet weather. There was puddle covering a pothole. I only just skimmed the edge of the puddle but the wheel dropped and caused my to change direction. I lost control and flew over the handlebars and the whole bicycle flipped over behind me. No injuries fortunately, just a bruised ego. It put me off cycling in wet weather though.

Time before that on an uneven canal path about 2 years before that.

I've also had a few heart-stopping moments when drivers pass way too close. Fortunately, I have not been hit (yet!).

There was puddle covering a pothole. I only just skimmed the edge of the puddle but the wheel dropped and caused my to change direction. I lost control and flew over the handlebars and the whole bicycle flipped over behind me. No injuries fortunately, just a bruised ego.
reminds me when I hit a hidden broken metal sign post w/ my front wheel. stopped me cold. at about the :26 mark

View: https://youtu.be/zqwX4rBhrMI

Last crash was the end of June this year, tipped into a right hand bend at the bottom of a hill and both wheels let go and dumped me on to the road hard, it was a nice warm summers day no rain and nothing obvious on the road and is a stretch of road I have used hundreds of times over the years so caught me completely by surprise . The result was a broken shoulder blade , 7 broken ribs, five of them broken in two places which meant I had a flail chest (I had to look that one up) a punctured lung with a bleed so I needed a chest drain and 5 days in hospital some of it spent in the High Dependency Unit.
I have struggled to get back on the bike since as this was the fourth trip to critical care in two years due to cycling accidents and I could only point to one of them being caused by my riding (over confidence on a descent on a trike) the other three were down to road surface x2 and car driver x1.

Paul

Biker man

Last crash was the end of June this year, tipped into a right hand bend at the bottom of a hill and both wheels let go and dumped me on to the road hard, it was a nice warm summers day no rain and nothing obvious on the road and is a stretch of road I have used hundreds of times over the years so caught me completely by surprise . The result was a broken shoulder blade , 7 broken ribs, five of them broken in two places which meant I had a flail chest (I had to look that one up) a punctured lung with a bleed so I needed a chest drain and 5 days in hospital some of it spent in the High Dependency Unit.
I have struggled to get back on the bike since as this was the fourth trip to critical care in two years due to cycling accidents and I could only point to one of them being caused by my riding (over confidence on a descent on a trike) the other three were down to road surface x2 and car driver x1.

Paul
Blimey hope you are ok accidents happen so fast and regardless whether you injury yourself or knot it shakes you up .

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

Paul

4 trips to Critical Care - blimey. Only ever done one, and that was a car driver's fault. The serious accidents have been caused by car drivers.

I fell off on a descent in summer, hit spilt milk from tankers, and took a large portion of my bum cheek off. Next worst was a banged up shoulder MTB'ing, just very sore.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I had a spill at the end of August while descending a byway that had been tarmaced in the past. I hit a bit that had been filled in with fine black gravel that was impossible to see at a distance and skidded off. Normally this would not be too bad but my knee hit a protruding piece of tarmac resulting in a 5mm deep recess in my leg.

I needed attention at the minor injuries unit. The x Ray found no fractures but did identify a couple of small fragments of tarmac. I could hardly walk for the next week and needed a trekking pole to get to the doctors. I can now cycle and walk without difficulty but it is still a bit sore.

I had 3 offs on 2nd October at l'Eroica, all on gravel. The first two were uphill topples on gravel when front the front wheel dug in and wouldn't join in the change of direction that the rest of the bike+rider combo were involved with. The 3rd was similar, but downhill and faster and landing on my left shoulder/collarbone, which is still sore a month later. Finished the ride still smiling, of course!

Biker man

I had 3 offs on 2nd October at l'Eroica, all on gravel. The first two were uphill topples on gravel when front the front wheel dug in and wouldn't join in the change of direction that the rest of the bike+rider combo were involved with. The 3rd was similar, but downhill and faster and landing on my left shoulder/collarbone, which is still sore a month later. Finished the ride still smiling, of course!
Well done for getting back on your bike 🚴

tyred

Legendary Member
I was knocked off by a twit in a Citroën that didn't stop at a junction and hit me on the side on the 12th October. I have a badly damaged ankle and will be out of action for a while by the look of it. It was my first time to be hit by a car.

Before that, my last off would have been in 2007 when I was caught out on black ice. A bruised hip but no other damage thankfully.

Biker man

I was knocked off by a twit in a Citroën that didn't stop at a junction and hit me on the side on the 12th October. I have a badly damaged ankle and will be out of action for a while by the look of it. It was my first time to be hit by a car.

Before that, my last off would have been in 2007 when I was caught out on black ice. A bruised hip but no other damage thankfully.
Stay safe mate

Top Bottom