When was the last time you had a bottle of wine with a cork stopper?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Bloody hell, you've got a good memory. :biggrin:
...and a big bag.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
A wine loving friend on mine once said "If they had had screw-top technology centuries, do you think they would still have used corks ?" - which is a fair point I think. He was a fan of the screw-top, but not of plastic corks which he thought was the worst of both worlds

PK99

Legendary Member
A wine loving friend on mine once said "If they had had screw-top technology centuries, do you think they would still have used corks ?" - which is a fair point I think. He was a fan of the screw-top, but not of plastic corks which he thought was the worst of both worlds

for wines made for early drinking screw cap is the best - cheaper and not prone to cork taint, but for wines designed to age in bottle over years, it is not so clear.

The point used to be made that screw cap isolates the wine but cork allows some oxygen ingress over time in storage, but newer types of screw cap have calculated rates of oxygen ingress.

Some of the big names in French wine have been doing parallel bottlings - still selling under cork but also bottling and storing under stelvin and doing long term comparisons on aging characteristics.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Tuesday... it was a Rioja from Sainsbury's

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've an semi-irrational preference for cork because I feel it's too soon to trust plastics in contact with wine for long periods. At least we know what cork does when it goes wrong!

I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say they like those plastic bungs.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Waiter's friend. Why haven't all other types of corkscrew died out yet, especially those ludicrously huge double arm lever affairs that sometimes take two squeezings just to snap a cork?
You mean these?

wine-corkscrew-7.png

They're wonderful! Among the most beautiful and elegant 'things' in the average home, and functionally superb. How many honest to God design classics can you get for a couple of quid? Nothing wrong with the waiter's friend, but it has no beauty, and demands a level of manual dexterity which can become challenging after the third or fourth bottle.

PaulB

Legendary Member
How about this for a corkscrew? Designed by the famous Tullio Campagnolo, no less! I mean, lesh after my breakfasht and evryfing.

Attachments

• Corkscrew.jpg
    Corkscrew.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 47

PK99

Legendary Member
just cam across this on Wiki;

During 1972 more than half of the Australian bottled wine went bad due to corking. A great deal of anger and suspicion was directed at Portuguese and Spanish cork suppliers who were suspected of deliberately supplying bad cork to non-EEC wine makers to help prevent cheap imports.

which goes some way to explaining the antipodean move away from cork...

Top Bottom