When was the last time you had a bottle of wine with a cork stopper?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I rarely drink wine, but I assumed the cheaper ones were screw tops and the more expensive ones were corks? That said, last time I remember a corker was my sister's wedding 15 years go, and it was some kind of faux champagne

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
Can't say that I've paid much attention to the detail of what type of bottle closure is used for what variety of wine. or its country of origin.

However, I can say confidently that I regularly encounter bottles with closures as follows:

1. 'Real' cork, cut from the bark of, presumably, cork oak trees
  2. Reconstituted cork made up from small fragments of bark. Presumably these are seen as an effective way of making 'corks' from the cut-off remnants of the above
  3. Plastic cork-shaped alternatives to the above
  4. Metal screw tops

I don't particularly care what type of closure is used on a bottle, and the wine doesn't hang around long enough for me to be concerned by its long term storage potential.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Waiter's friends work OK so long as you don't encounter the combination of a reluctant cork and a bottle with a neck of thin glass, as considerable sideways force may be needed to start the cork moving. I have a scar on my left forefinger as a result of a wine bottle breaking and slashing my finger to the bone a few years back.
An elegant white became a cheeky rosé.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You mean these?

View attachment 357214

They're wonderful! Among the most beautiful and elegant 'things' in the average home, and functionally superb. How many honest to God design classics can you get for a couple of quid? Nothing wrong with the waiter's friend, but it has no beauty, and demands a level of manual dexterity which can become challenging after the third or fourth bottle.
A couple of quid, cheapskate.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwi-quXp5L_UAhXG2xoKHZYgD0IQwg8IKw&adurl=

Zimbob

Über Member
Most of the Red I drink comes with a cork, and we only tend to drink Fizzy White, so it has a Cork too... Did get a bottle of Prosecco at a restaurant a few moths back with a screw-top though wierdly...

if i'm desperate i just poke a hole in the carton for the straw...

View attachment 357217

This I like - we were at a wedding in Leigh-on-Sea a handful of years back, Jamie Oliver did the wine and it was all in cartons, we'd never seen such a thing before... Very handy for smuggling outside when the caterers set the venue on fire, and we had to evacuate though :becool:

My favourite red Campo Viego has a cork so quite often....

And the only thing I miss about our old house was the long garden... I used to enjoy trying to hit the shed with fizzy wine corks... if I tried now I'd hit the house behinds patio doors

Tin Pot

Guru
I'll admit to preferring screwtop on cheap white, as it's unlikely the bottle will be finished in one sitting.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You mean these?

View attachment 357214

They're wonderful! Among the most beautiful and elegant 'things' in the average home, and functionally superb. How many honest to God design classics can you get for a couple of quid? Nothing wrong with the waiter's friend, but it has no beauty, and demands a level of manual dexterity which can become challenging after the third or fourth bottle.
Once the plastic bit falls off the bottom they are useless. I love the aesthetics of my waiter's friends...

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom