Where are you lot off to in 2014?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Quite fancy doing a weekend Calais - Belgium - Hook of Holland.
And I'm aiming to do a week touring the Luberon given half a chance.
You will love Belgium, especially the beers.:thumbsup:

We did the LF route around Flanders a couple of years ago and were pretty disappointed with Belgium as a touring destination, very built up and not very interesting scenery / terrain. Mind you, the beer makes up for a lot and the people are very friendly.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yeah, I have to say Belgium would be a very long way down my list, but then I'm a wine rather than beer drinker.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Belgium has it's uses. Nice biking culture, close to the UK, great beer, decent grub, WW1 history to cry for and die for - which many did sadly.
I enjoyed it as a 5 day Spring tour, while having a longer one somewhere warmer later - but we're all different.

CycingTerrier

Only at the vague mulling stage as yet, but possibly a lap of the Netherlands or some kind of Rhine route. The astute will spot what these ideas have in common. :-)

I did Amsterdam to Strasbourg in 2010 and I have to say that although Holland is a lovely place full of some of the most friendly (and stunning) people, the Rhine from Koln onwards was by far a more interesting and rewarding ride. Riding through places like Remagen and all the vineyards along the way was simply outstanding compared to the flat, less inspiring terrain of Holland. Not knocking Holland (been there many times) but as a ride, Rhine all the way!

CycingTerrier

Planning my first long distance trip since 2010, cycling from Huddersfield to Bucharest (Eurovelo 4, 15, 6) and back again (not sure which route, maybe 13, 4?) with a quick LEJOG in May/June as a warm-up. Havnt quite decided the time-scale yet or even bought a bike for it yet!!

Rymo, very jealous!!! Have you thought about which route you would take across Asia?

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Eldest son moved to Caerphilly a year ago so planning on spending some time in that area next year. Only know the Brecon area, from the past, so will be pastures new. Son enthuses over the cycling in the area as does daughter in law who has a new Pashley Princess that she has fallen in love with. Take bike on train down for a couple of weeks there and then over to Cork to ride the Cork and Kerry coast down to Portmagee/Valencia Island. Probably spend a couple of weeks there then up to Killarney and coach back to Cork for ferry back to Wales. Likely that I will leave bike there for future visits and get train home sans bike. I have a few more at home:whistle:. Well that is the plan at the moment anyway.

looe

3 weeks in France. This time Loire Valley and beyond. I just love France as a cycle touring country. Plenty of cheap campsites and nice food

Alberto

A year or so in South America, starting early January in Quito, will head South initially through Ecuador, Perú, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina. No firm plans regarding specific routes though! Suggestions welcome :smile:

A year or so in South America, starting early January in Quito, will head South initially through Ecuador, Perú, Bolivia, Chile and Argentina. No firm plans regarding specific routes though! Suggestions welcome :smile:
have a read of this journal. It is a great read and should give you some ideas, but they have been on the road a while, so start reading it sooner rather than later. loads of advice on routes & accommodation etc http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/genners

Top Bottom