Where are you touring this summer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
OK, I'm only going to Norfolk (again). I don't care, I love it.

(I'll get me coat).

GrahamG

Guru
Yellow7 said:
I'm riding to Cape Town, starting August 21st, head out across france & spain then ferry to Morocco for the 'main chunk'!!
Finish work July 30th, (handed my notice in 2 weeks back) & renting my house to a mates mate.

Still can't beleive i'm doing this!:biggrin:

Mark

Wow. Have to admit I just don't have the balls to do Africa... that said, I think it'd be preferable to the USA :biggrin:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
GrahamG said:
Wow. Have to admit I just don't have the balls to do Africa... that said, I think it'd be preferable to the USA :biggrin:

I've read quite a few books about African touring and I agree that it seems too much aggro for me. Maybe it's a young person's thing. I need a bit more comfort! Being stoned by mobs of kids in Ethiopia is more intrepid than I want on my holidays.

HelenD123

Guru
Al Humphreys chapter on Ethiopia was eye opening, particularly the relationship between western aid donations and how locals now view foreigners i.e. walking cash machines.

GrahamG

Guru
HelenD123 said:
Al Humphreys chapter on Ethiopia was eye opening, particularly the relationship between western aid donations and how locals now view foreigners i.e. walking cash machines.

That's pretty much the case throughout given the experience of my other half in a few central African countries - real dependency culture, whether it's aid or just tourism, or just expecting God to provide (missionary's have a lot to answer for in some areas!).

Tenorman

Gerry Attrick said:
Nowt wrong with Norfolk. Mrs A and I hope to be touring Norfolk July/August as usual.

Maybe see you there. OH has never been cycle touring, so we're planning on cycling from Nottinghamshire, through Lincolnshire round The Wash to about Burnham Deepdale and back. Mainly it will be flat, so will please the OH. I'll be carrying most of the kit too - will be all camping and I'll be carrying the tent and stoves!

HelenD123

Guru
Tenorman said:
Maybe see you there. OH has never been cycle touring, so we're planning on cycling from Nottinghamshire, through Lincolnshire round The Wash to about Burnham Deepdale and back. Mainly it will be flat, so will please the OH. I'll be carrying most of the kit too - will be all camping and I'll be carrying the tent and stoves!

I can thoroughly recommend the hostel and campsite at Burnham Deepdale.

I don't know if you'll be going that way, but the route between Kings Lynn and Sandringham is lovely and mostly off road. It was a shock hitting a small hill going into Sandringham after it being completely flat for the previous couple of days.:thumbsup:

puppypuppy

anyone cycled London to Maidstone?

Tenorman

HelenD123 said:
I can thoroughly recommend the hostel and campsite at Burnham Deepdale.

I don't know if you'll be going that way, but the route between Kings Lynn and Sandringham is lovely and mostly off road. It was a shock hitting a small hill going into Sandringham after it being completely flat for the previous couple of days.;)

We're intending staying at the campsite at Burnham Deepdale if there's space. I noticed that in the high season you have to book for 7 nights, or just take your chances. We might have a bit of a wander towards Sandringham. Haven't really planned the route that carefully, just the rough direction we want to take.

samid

Veteran
In a week from now, I'm flying into Edinburgh (volcanoes permitting), and shortly afterwards going up the west coast of Scotland, as far as I can get in two weeks or so, camping (at least most of the time).

Robdoo

For my first tour i am flying to Athens(June 20th) and cycling along the Adriatic coast(Croatia) up into Austria, through Germany etc etc all the way home to beautiful Birmingham. Should take no more than 6 weeks. Am i crazy?..Any advice from more experienced tourers? I'll be camping all the way, a mixture of wild camping and campsites.

Top Bottom