Which charge saddle is for me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomplodder

Über Member
Hi
Which is the best charge saddle for road bike rides over 60 miles plus, I've measured my sit bones and approx 110mm ( I believe I have to add 30mm ) I ve read good reviews on the charge saddles, but not sure which one to buy, spoon, scoop or knife, thank you for any advice

lazyfatgit

See if you can borrow one before you buy. Some shops will do this. I'm sure there used to be some saddle swapping/lending on here.

I've probably wasted more money on saddles which are the "correct" width for my anatomy and still didn't get along with on longer rides.

OP
OP
tomplodder

tomplodder

Über Member
See if you can borrow one before you buy. Some shops will do this. I'm sure there used to be some saddle swapping/lending on here.

I've probably wasted more money on saddles which are the "correct" width for my anatomy and still didn't get along with on longer rides.

Quite a few saddles are fine up to about 30 miles, but I am covering longer distances and unfortunately my saddle becomes more uncomfortable, I am hoping someone on here has experience of riding long distances on a charge saddle, thanks

wonderloaf

Veteran
You sometimes see used charge saddles on ebay that are not in good condition but are probably quite useable like this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Charge-Spoon-Saddle-/292214072151?hash=item440950e357:g:HBYAAOSw5SZZkJGl
I would have thought you would have a good chance of getting this one for the 99p bid, so for that plus p&p you could get a saddle you can try out for as long as want, if it's OK then go and buy a nice new shiny one, if not just toss it or put it back on ebay.
BTW I bought a Charge Spoon from ebay which cosy about £10 delivered, in the pictures it looked in bad condition but once cleaned and polished up looked almost new. It's also very comfy and I regularly do rides of 50 - 60 miles on it.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
It all depends on your physiology. Some folks get away with charge spoons/knives/forks, others don't. I use a Spesh Body Geometry saddle as it has the right width for me regarding sit bones, but a very quick tapering down to the nose (I used to get numb feet using a Spoon as the saddle pinched the nerves in my short fat hairy legs). No one can recommend you a saddle, as it is all subjective. You have to find the one that fits you. When you do, it's bliss!

OP
OP
tomplodder

tomplodder

Über Member
Thanks for your replies, I understand everyone's behinds are different and it is all subjective, no wonder they call it trying to find the holy grail

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No help to you but I have Spoons on my hybrid, MTB and roadbike. I don't wear any cycling shorts or padding but can comfortably do 100+ miles on the hybrid and gladly spend any amount of time on the MTB. I don't find the newest one on my roadbike quite as comfy and get a bit fed up after about 60 miles so I suspect it is slightly different to my older ones or maybe doesn't suit the drop bar riding position?

S-Express

Thanks for your replies, I understand everyone's behinds are different and it is all subjective, no wonder they call it trying to find the holy grail
Not quite as bad as that. But either way, nobody else can advise you.

Drago

Legendary Member
You may have to try it and see. I find the Spoon as painful as being a guest for dinner round Vlad the Impalers house, but the Scoop is OK.

Interestingly, the Scoop is a modern reboot of the old Selle Turbo saddle of the Eighties, but with different colours and fabrics.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I tried a Charge Spoon and a Scoop, both weren't too bad, but didn't prevent numbness.
I eventually went for a Fabric (Charge) Line. Problem solved.

Studio_20170819_075556.png

Venod

Eh up
I changed to using Spoons on all my bikes last year I find them OK for long periods in the saddle, I have just bought a bike for the turbo and it has a Fabric Charge as pictured above, it I have done a couple of static hours on it and it is comfortable.

OP
OP
tomplodder

tomplodder

Über Member
Thanks again to all, it has given me lots of options to think about, particularly the line saddle which I did not know existed

Alan O

Über Member
As others have suggested, the only way to find out is to try for yourself. I don't know about other Charge saddles, but as-new Spoons sell for not much less than the new price on eBay - so you could buy one to try, and if you don't like it you could sell it on with not much loss. That was my approach, and as it happens I liked the Spoon enough to keep it (on my MTB, but only for rides up to about 30 miles).

Top Bottom