Which food did you find the most underwhelming?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Agree with some of the above:

Champers
Oysters
Avocado (only fit for colouring baths and toilet pans)
Paella ( before anyone says I haven't had the 'real' stuff, I have, several times and always hoping it would be better than the last time. It wasn't)

and pretty much anything Mexican.

I've enjoyed many paellas, but on a trip to Barcelona I had an 'authentic' Catalan Paella. It was the blandest rice dish I've ever had, and given that I ate it at a fancy-pants restaurant in the marina, it cost me a small fortune.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Scallops for me. I still order them when out if there's really nothing else on the menu that I'll eat but they don't taste of anything and have to be carried by the sauce/dressing.

Bluebell72

Oysters definitely. And I really wanted to like them, too.

Colly "and pretty much anything Mexican"
who was it that said 'Mexican food is just vomit with cheese on'? ha.Oh yes, Jeremy Clarkson

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
and pretty much anything Mexican.

:ohmy:

gbb

Legendary Member
genuine
I've enjoyed many paellas, but on a trip to Barcelona I had an 'authentic' Catalan Paella. It was the blandest rice dish I've ever had, and given that I ate it at a fancy-pants restaurant in the marina, it cost me a small fortune.
I wonder just how good Spanish food really is, ive rarely eaten anything that made me think...wow.

Working in Spain for a few days, away from the resorts, the hotel food was cr@p, i went to a resturant that was recommended in the mountains in Castellon...it was just 'ok', went for a quick meal in a local town and had a 'burger and chips'. CR@P :sad: .

Working in Uruguay, predominantly Spanish food...utter cr@p. The most bland, boring, tasteless food ive ever eaten. Two weeks of it, i lost a stone in weight and went off food for about a month. It was so bad, i stayed in the Hilton in Montevideo on my last night, the choice of what should have been a good menu, i just couldnt bring myself to be bothered with it.

Bear in mind the above aren't at resorts where you get a concoction of acceptable and cheap food, these are places off the beaten track, food eaten by locals..heaven help them.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
genuine
I wonder just how good Spanish food really is, ive rarely eaten anything that made me think...wow.

Well I had 2 cracking Dinners in Toledo last week including the best smoked Salmon I've ever eaten, first class, and I've had Tapas there also and it's very good indeed. So like everywhere, it can vary, you need to know where to go.

Top Bottom