Which one of Evans clearance bikes would you choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
No, discs aren't a requirement and that Rutland price is a 100 quid cheaper than my Lbs.
Looks like excellent value.
Rutland don’t have the best rep if you can buy elsewhere?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru

I've been incredibly underwhelmed every time I've been in Evans to look at bikes.
The staff generally seemed uninterested and just directed me to the website when I wanted to know about various options etc. Their loss.

So I went to Cycle Surgery with my C2W letter and bought this:
https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/giant-contend-sl-1-disc-2018-Q2214187.html?colour=3399

View attachment 394292
They have a sale on with some really good reductions including this in M-L which I think will be your size, reduced from £1549 to £999 - now with an extra 10% off:
https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/giant-defy-advanced-3-2017-Q2210456.html?colour=2924
View attachment 394294
Starting to get to the nitty gritty now. Aluminium v Carbon. Which is best from that 3?

vickster

Legendary Member
Starting to get to the nitty gritty now. Aluminium v Carbon. Which is best from that 3?
Only you can answer that question. Best is completely subjective and could mean anything

I'd get the Genesis because it's not a Giant ;)

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Define value

Can you go test ride them all?
Bang for buck, quality of components and frame. I suppose it's like comparing apples and oranges. I could definitely get a run on the genesis but not sure about the other two.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

I genuinely rate the Giant Contend SL1 Disc - I haven't ridden any of my other bike since I collected it and it might be my favourite bike, although I really need to ride it back to back with my "best" carbon bike first before making that sort of statement. It really is that good.

In purely value for money terms its hard to look past that Giant Defy Advanced 3 at the money though - if it's the right bike for you it's an absolute steal at that price.

Only you can answer that question. Best is completely subjective and could mean anything

I'd get the Genesis because it's not a Giant ;)

Rude! :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
I genuinely rate the Giant Contend SL1 Disc - I haven't ridden any of my other bike since I collected it and it might be my favourite bike, although I really need to ride it back to back with my "best" carbon bike first before making that sort of statement. It really is that good.

In purely value for money terms its hard to look past that Giant Defy Advanced 3 at the money though - if it's the right bike for you it's an absolute steal at that price.

It's just different, I don't think I've ever seen a Zero in the wilds. This weekend if out around here I'll likely see a dozen Giants. Good bikes, hence popular with the MAMIL set ...but not different and interesting

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Define value

Can you go test ride them all?

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I reckon I'll get a run on the Genesis on Sunday and mull over the Giant. I am a bit like @vickster in respect to looking for something a bit different but I already own a Genesis that I think is brilliant.

My heads starting to hurt.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I reckon I'll get a run on the Genesis on Sunday and mull over the Giant. I am a bit like @vickster in respect to looking for something a bit different but I already own a Genesis that I think is brilliant.

My heads starting to hurt.
Focus are nice bikes, and not too common
Or an Orbea?

Last edited:
Top Bottom