Who are your most favourite or least favourite TV Chefs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Never really bothered with any of them since we bought Delia's complete cook book in 1983... the paper cover is just about holding together with 29 years' worth of sellotape. Until, that is, we watched the Hairy Biker's 'Mothers know best' series which was a laugh- they're a bit soft and it's all a bit too glib at times but they do seem to care about what they do.

M-in-L used to say said, 'Never trust a thin chef...."

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My issue with Delia is that her approach is cooking-by-numbers, with no attempt to get you thinking for yourself.
As long as you're cooking for the right number of people, using the correct baking tin or whatever, it'll all work. It's when you have an extra person, large eggs instead of medium and every sort of sugar except the one you need that the wheels fall off.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
My issue with Delia is that her approach is cooking-by-numbers, with no attempt to get you thinking for yourself.
As long as you're cooking for the right number of people, using the correct baking tin or whatever, it'll all work. It's when you have an extra person, large eggs instead of medium and every sort of sugar except the one you need that the wheels fall off.

She gets on my tits a bit, especially because any silly fads she has instantly get reproduced on shelves and menus, and in kitchens, all over the country. There was a period when you couldn't have lemon anything because she'd opined that "limes are much nicer". And people even started putting risotto in the oven! FFS! Having said that, she's an affable enough sort, and seems genuinely bothered about enabling people to reproduce what she cooks. Which is the opposite of Rhodes, whose whole demeanour exudes "your pastry won't look anything like this, peasants, so don't even bother trying". And instead of saying "bung in loads of salt and pepper," he says stuff like "you know how I feel about seasoning." ****. And I have it on very good authority that he really is as much of a **** as he looks.

Alastair Little is the best thing ever, but he's rarely on the telly. Another vote for Floyd (even when he's cooking utter shite, as in Floyd on Africa), and for Madhur Jaffrey and the lovely Claudia Roden. Jamie Oliver may be annoying, but his food is nice, and I warm to him every time he attempts some wildly ambitious campaign. People may mock the mockney, but he can win over the most unlikely targets.

Cant stand Jamie Oliver - he really looks as if he has not washed and just is annoying.

Favourite - Ching-He Huang had a cooking thing "chinese food in minutes" which was really good. I got the book and have tried quite a few things from it. She is lovely too!!

Gordon Ramsey is my least favourite because I think he's a pr1ck; I don't have a favourite because I cant stand cookery programmes.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
This guy does some great recipes, he's a big ol' boy.

51AA5XB8ZNL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Durian

Über Member
For me it has to be Keith Floyd and his 'just another quick slurp'. One of his series had the theme music by The Stranglers, think it was Waltz in Black, great stuff.

Trying to think of the name of the bloke who carted his family off to France, I think he had some double-barrelled name. Seemed a dodgy sort of person to me!

As for Hugh Fearnley W, I visited his cafe in Axminster a few years ago, very dirty place and the service was appalling.

For me it has to be Keith Floyd and his 'just another quick slurp'. One of his series had the theme music by The Stranglers, think it was Waltz in Black, great stuff.

Trying to think of the name of the bloke who carted his family off to France, I think he had some double-barrelled name. Seemed a dodgy sort of person to me!

As for Hugh Fearnley W, I visited his cafe in Axminster a few years ago, very dirty place and the service was appalling.
John Burton-Race?

Habitual Saucepan thrower apparently, very very stroppy.

martint235

Dog on a bike
IIRC he insisted on Stranglers music for all his TV shows although Peaches was an edited version. He was by the far the best TV chef just for the sheer humour and bon viveur attitude. The highlight of his shows for me is in a Norwegian mine when he's cooking for the miners. He picks up a bottle, pours a glass, takes a "slurp" and realises he's poured Aquavit rather than wine. Not content with this, his recipe calls for wine to be included and he again gets the bottle wrong resulting in a bit of a "whoosh" moment!! ^_^

Top Bottom