Why can't I reduce my bike toolkit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
  • Small set of Draper Allen keys and a larger one that fits the crank bolts on my mtb.
  • Chain splitting tool
  • Spoke key
  • Small Phillips screwdriver
  • 8/9mm ring spanner
  • 10mm combination spanner

You can ditch most of that for one multi tool. The crank bros tool I use covers that list apart from the 9mm spanner. It also includes torx and a flat screwdriver

Globalti

Legendary Member
Of course off road things break but that's usually because you've stressed them beyond their design strength. I do remember a left-hand shifter falling apart during a NEMBA race in Sheffield back in about 1992 but I suppose that happened because I had failed to notice that a bolt was unscrewing.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a similar pointlessly large toolkit. And mainly it has benefitted strangers more than me. I've lent my chain tool (integrated into a multitool) and a spare quick link to a stranded rider. Actually the fettling in that case was done by a passing (ex) CC-er, so it was CC to the rescue all round. I've lent my leatherman style pliers to several riders for fiddly bodge jobs, and I've handed out packets of instant patches on several occasions. And once I provided someone with a spare cleat bolt.

But all I ever seen to use myself is my spare tubes and levers, and sometimes instant patches.

I carry the puncture stuff in a easy access plastic bag separate from the rest of the junk. It all rattles around in my rack pack.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Multi tools are heavy. They only come close to weight competitive if they have a chain tool. Otherwise, a ¼" square sliding bar driver and the hex bits and sockets you'll actually use is often lighter. Then I add a mini chain tool, 4" adjustable 0-15mm spanner, quick link, reusable cable ties, tube, patches, levers and telescoping mini pump.

Only the last three come on short town rides: if something snaps, I'll bodge or walk up to 99minutes.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Excessive tools and flouro jackets are the modern equivalent to the old St Christopher medal that Grandpa had stuck to his dashboard; just jujus to ward off evil.
"Protect me, my passengers, and all I pass by, with a steady hand and a watchful eye"
"Behold St Christopher, and go thy way in safety"

Good sentiments for the road. Would that more of those driving or riding would apply them.

On my bike with tubeless wheels I carry:
Pump - https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/pumps-puncture-repair/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-pump
A Mult tool - http://www.birzman.com/products_2.php?uID=2&cID=29&Key=37
A tubeless repair kit - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-tubeless-repair-kit/
And inside the kit I've put a couple of quick links and in my phone case there are some Self adhesive Park's patches.
If its a longer ride or a bike with tubes I'll also carry a tube and tyre levers and if appropriate ditch the tubeless kit.

si_c

Guru
I've greatly reduced what I carry over the last couple of years.

Currently I've got

- Topeak Hexus II multitool it's a great bit of kit - all the hex keys I'm likely to need, a chain tool, two sizes of spoke key, a torx key, screw drivers and tyre levers
- CO2 cannister and ultralight inflator
- Patches
- Inner Tube
- Park tool boot
- Skabs tyre patches
- Lezyne ABS mini pump
- Chain link

All that apart from the pump sits inside a small saddle pack and the pump is fixed to the upright bottle cage. Both are on the bike permanently and don't get removed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On my best bike, which only comes out on dry roads (yeah, yeah, I know...!) I carry only a spare inner tube sucked flat and taped tight with two tyre levers and a gas dispenser with a canister up the spout. Otherwise I trust in regular checking and adjustment to keep the bike reliable. The only time this system has failed me was when I got a tiny bit of glass lodged in the tyre and my spare inner tube went flat. I flagged down a passing cyclist and we patched the tube and pumped it again but it went flat a second time because the bit of glass was still lurking in the carcass.

Top Bottom