Why can't I reduce my bike toolkit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Light an aromatherapy candle and wait for someone to stop and help ? :rolleyes:

Absolutely. I used to carry those Eastern ear wax extractors. You know the ones you stick in your ear, light and do lots of Ohming? Popular in the 80s and caused a sensation with the amount of gunk (thought you be ear wax being sucked out from the middle and inner ear)

Then someone did an experiment without an ear in sight and the same amount of wax appeared! It was the beeswax from the tube you numpties! Debunked in moments. A sad day that was. I still have some if anyone wants one for their tool kit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I mountain biked I used to carry a chain tool and a multi tool because things did get damaged and sometimes a bit of bodging was needed to get me home. On Polaris mountain marathons you were expected to be self-sufficient in the hills, but then on the Spring and Autumn events you'd also be carrying camping gear and food etc. so a few gms of tools and spares didn't make any difference.

Two separate groups dealing with mechanicals on Blackstone Edge, July 2003, photo by Ian Donohoe. Check out the full lycra XC gear!

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I carry the bare minimum: 2 tubes, repair kit and multi-tool. But then I do prefer to do maintainance at home rather than on the road.

Jody

Stubborn git
It would be interesting to hear of all ye tool carriers also carrier tools in your car, other than a jack and wheel spanner.

I used to carry a full set of sockets, spanners, breaker bar, trolley jack etc in my old Mini if I was going any kind of distance. It was more for peace of mind knowing what its reliability was like. Same for some of my other older cars back in the day. Now I just have brakedown cover and a cant be arsed attitude if it brakes.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Audax is about self sufficiency so I take a well stocked tool kit. Recently I have had two Skab patches fail. They have been ok in the past but the air wormed it’s way under the patch and created a channel and finally went flat. My old fashioned vulcanised patches have only ever failed on a pronounced seam. On a long ride I’ll use a new tube of which I carry two. I have pinched a tube with a tyre lever before. Annoying. I was rushing and a bit stressed. Now I’ll have a snack and a drink before I fix a puncture. And chill.

You'll defo chill during audaxes at the moment

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It would be interesting to hear of all ye tool carriers also carrier tools in your car, other than a jack and wheel spanner.
Wife's German car has the standard manufacturers basic tool kit and I have added some jump leads because it is an automatic.
My 25yr old landrover is pretty reliable so I don't normally carry tools, but I do take a pretty hefty tool kit if I am away for a weekend event because once it involves off-roading anything can happen.

12boy

Guru
I have
2 steel tire irons
Scab type patches
Lezyne mini pump
Cut down 15 mm wrench for wheel nuts
4, 5 and 6 mm Allen wrenches
A piece of paper shop cloth
2 way screwdriver for derailleur adjustment
Couple of zip ties just in case
All wrapped up in a black canvas tool roll.
I've already swapped out as many regular bolts for Allen bolts in 4/5/6 mm Allen wrenches

Top Bottom