Why can't I reduce my bike toolkit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I rarely head out on my bike without my trusty tool roll which has changed very little in the last 25-30 years. This tool roll contains the following;
  • Puncture repair kit
  • Tyre levers
  • Small set of Draper Allen keys and a larger one that fits the crank bolts on my mtb.
  • Chain splitting tool
  • Spoke key
  • Small Phillips screwdriver
  • 8/9mm ring spanner
  • 10mm combination spanner
  • A few links of 9spd & 10spd chain and a handfull of 9/10/11spd quicklinks
  • A couple of short cable ties
In addition to these tools I also carry a spare innertube or two and a pump.

For a long time I have known I am carrying redundant, obsolete tools. These are mainly the two spanners, most of the Allen keys and the cable ties. I know this, but can't bring myself to leave them behind 'just in case'!

Things have come to a head this week as I have discovered that my chain tool is broken. Now this was a cheapy one and is probably at least 25yrs old and has been my only chain tool for workshop and roadside chain fettling in all this time. I'm not sure but it may even be the only chain tool I have ever owned?
This may be the opportunity I need to streamline the toolkit. On my best carbon bike I have a more minimalist kit consisting of an innertube, a mini-pump on the frame and a Topeak multi-tool.
I can't decide whether to replace the chain tool like-for-like and carry on as before, or ditch all the crap and just carry a multi-tool. Any suggestions?

The Multi tool would be my choice:okay:

Reactions: C R

snorri

Legendary Member
My tool kit for 1,000+ mile tours was smaller than that:smile:.

You could spend a bit of time going over all of the fixings on your bike and ensuring you have tools to fit these fixings and no more. I reduced my set of Allen keys to two or three keys which would be all I could possibly use on my bike. Similarly with OE and Ring spanners.
Even some Multi-tools contain components you would never use.
Besides everything else, going minimal on tools adds a bit of excitement to your cycling, will I get home under my own steam or will I not?:biggrin:.

Sharky

Guru
Just a few essential Allen keys rather than the multi tool. Also you can ditch the big Allen key if you have a couple of loose keys to make up the same size. Ie two 5mm keys will replace a heavy 10mm key, at least to get you home if it works loose.
And a small adjustable can replace the ring spanners.

But if you have just been fettling the night before, always take the tools you used on your next ride.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Don’t ditch the cable ties. You never know when your saddle clamp is going to fall to pieces. I covered another 80 miles on this bodged repair...
A34D9D9E-0DAE-4899-940B-5728C72F5152.jpeg

Globalti

Legendary Member
A properly-maintained bike won't just break down. That means you've checked everything, replaced it before it fails and adjusted everything correctly. I can't remember a bike ever breaking down on me so the only tools I carry are for fixing punctures, which nobody can control except by making sure tyres are in good condition, which reduces the risk.

If something happens that I can't fix I'll wait for somebody who has got the tool I need or I'll shoulder the bike and hitch home.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
True, but bikes that are ridden off road take a hell of alot of abuse. Things rattle loose. And then there's the unexpected in life. Sometimes things just break.
I take the view that I'd rather be comfortable carrying all sorts of stuff in my bag than spend the ride wondering what I'd do if I wasn't prepared for something going pear shaped.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My bikes are well looked after and are extremely reliable, but the unexpected can happen. I mainly carry tools to fix the bikes of other people I ride with or stranded cyclists I might meet. I am hesitant to be more selfish, but maybe people should also take some responsibility for looking after themselves.

I think I will cut down what I carry as faults with my own bikes are rare and the few incidents there have been could have been dealt with using my proposed reduced toolkit.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
In 45+ years I've had a bottom bracket fail. I can't recall ever being on a ride or coming across a stranger with a major mechanical.

For this reason I don't carry the kitchen sink. In my bag can be found:
  1. Two tubes
  2. Two tyre levers
  3. Multi-tool
  4. A 10 speed and 11 speed link
  5. £20 for emergencies
  6. Three zip ties
Beyond a puncture, broken chain or something that needed tightening I'd struggle to begin! :laugh:

Top Bottom