Why can't I reduce my bike toolkit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My 25yr old landrover is pretty reliable so I don't normally carry tools, but I do take a pretty hefty tool kit if I am away for a weekend event because once it involves off-roading anything can happen.

Exactly my point. My Landy never broke down because I maintained it properly and gave it a regular check over. Anything that looked less than perfect like an engine hose got replaced. The only time it "failed to proceed" was after I fitted a dashboard clock using an unfused spare feed and the cable fretted through and shorted, producing an alarming amount of smoke but even then it started and I drove it home with no electrics. And just like you I used to carry tools when off-roading in case of damage. Same on the mountain bike.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Very little in my tool kit these days.
Multi tool with built in chain splitter.
Co2 pump. For a burp or puncture "tubeless" so should only be a pressure issue.
Chain link.

A phone for a disaster...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've greatly reduced what I carry over the last couple of years.

Currently I've got

- Topeak Hexus II multitool it's a great bit of kit - all the hex keys I'm likely to need, a chain tool, two sizes of spoke key, a torx key, screw drivers and tyre levers
- CO2 cannister and ultralight inflator
- Patches
- Inner Tube
- Park tool boot
- Skabs tyre patches
- Lezyne ABS mini pump
- Chain link

All that apart from the pump sits inside a small saddle pack and the pump is fixed to the upright bottle cage. Both are on the bike permanently and don't get removed.
Second the Topeak Hexus. Fabulous.
VAR tyre levers
Quick links
P*ncture repair kit
Spare tubes
Emergency tenner.

DSK

For me its;

1. mini bike pump
2. multi tool
3. tyre levers
4. 1 tube

Anything else I'll call home to rescue me.

Need to think about what I'm carrying :-(
Just back from a ride so emptied the rucksack ( as never sure which bike to go out on until I see what the weather is like so saves pulling bags off one bike and onto another)...
cable lock
2x tubes
multi tool
medical kit
pump
phone
cash
power bank
wireless headphone charger case (only small, ish)
swiss army knife
and 50% of the time a camera and spare lens ...

this is every ride, 10 mile pootle about, 20-30 mile regular ride or the longer 50-60 mile ones

Rucksack is really comfortable and dont notice it too much, but every time I pick it up before a ride I think I need to get this sorted, its just so heavy !

New Year resolution - SORT IT :-)

Top Bottom