Why can't I reduce my bike toolkit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Excessive tools and flouro jackets are the modern equivalent to the old St Christopher medal that Grandpa had stuck to his dashboard; just jujus to ward off evil.
As far as my excessive tool kit goes ... I fully agree. I really don't need all this stuff. I mean, when was the last time I used my lucky rabbit-foot-handled crank extractor?

But I'd be a damn fool if I didn't carry it - the mechanical pixies might notice and be angry.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I carry https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/mini-tools/408-mini-6 which has all the hexes I need on the road. I used to carry chain tool but there's only two times in fifty years I've used one on the road. If on an Audax I'll also carry a spokey; but only needed to use twice on audaxes to complete a ride.

Check bolts periodically, check spokes periodically, check chain periodically. Deal with any new bike noises that appear, as soon as you can. Then you can set off knowing it's all pretty much going to stay working for you next few rides.

Essentially review your toolkit and consider the likelihood of needing a tool and impact if you don't carry it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It would be interesting to hear of all ye tool carriers also carrier tools in your car, other than a jack and wheel spanner.
Nope.

I'm guessing that there might be a - what is it? - "Jack and wheel spanner" under the floor in the boot, but I can't say for sure. I know there's some mysterious stuff there.

My car fettling skills begin with filling the windscreen washer reservoir and end with putting air in the tyres. Anything else is a call to the AA.

lane

Veteran
Recommendations for very lightweight multitool then? I have a multitool but it is not what i would call lightweight. I must admit I have wondered about carrying tools at all I don't often have mechanicals - chain broke within the past year but even then I was 1/2 mile from home.

si_c

Guru
On my best bike, which only comes out on dry roads (yeah, yeah, I know...!) I carry only a spare inner tube sucked flat and taped tight with two tyre levers and a gas dispenser with a canister up the spout. Otherwise I trust in regular checking and adjustment to keep the bike reliable. The only time this system has failed me was when I got a tiny bit of glass lodged in the tyre and my spare inner tube went flat. I flagged down a passing cyclist and we patched the tube and pumped it again but it went flat a second time because the bit of glass was still lurking in the carcass.
That's why I carry the instant patches as well as a spare inner tube.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It would be interesting to hear of all ye tool carriers also carrier tools in your car, other than a jack and wheel spanner.
Jack and wheel brace are under the boot floor. Pump, sealant can, bulbs and fuses are in the boot. Other than that, I sling the bike tools in the car to handle unbolting the battery or turning adjusting screws or nuts! Dad was a mechanic who showed me some stuff but I know I have limits, especially when the emu whines.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Recommendations for very lightweight multitool then? I have a multitool but it is not what i would call lightweight. I must admit I have wondered about carrying tools at all I don't often have mechanicals - chain broke within the past year but even then I was 1/2 mile from home.
Ritchey CPR-9. :evil:

I think it's the Topeak Hexus 16 which has a chain tool and is about 180g but that's still only lightweight if the tools are what you need.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I can never understand this carrying of stuff in case you come across someone else who has broken down and hasn't got anything with them. I'll always stop to help and if I've got what they need they can use it, but if I haven't that's down to them. They'll have to walk or call a taxi.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Audax is about self sufficiency so I take a well stocked tool kit. Recently I have had two Skab patches fail. They have been ok in the past but the air wormed it’s way under the patch and created a channel and finally went flat. My old fashioned vulcanised patches have only ever failed on a pronounced seam. On a long ride I’ll use a new tube of which I carry two. I have pinched a tube with a tyre lever before. Annoying. I was rushing and a bit stressed. Now I’ll have a snack and a drink before I fix a puncture. And chill.

Top Bottom