why do people wear cycling caps under their helmets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I wear the cap but not the helmet.

I do a lot of cycling photography. Although I wear a helmet when I am riding point to point, when I am pedalling into frame in a photo I wear a cycling cap for the aesthetics. It just looks better. I keep a couple of caps, in different colours, in my camera bag. The hard thing is to find ones without a lot of obvious branding.
Confused by this - maybe too early for my brain to have kicked in - you photograph yourself riding your bike?

Great original question OP.

Thank goodness I have hair at 56. Saves me a bundle on cycling caps! :wahhey:

They should start a "do you have hair" thread! :laugh:

Both of us 56 and happy to have hair.

36766523_2140706759335144_2807774834707136512_n.jpg
23472297_1786062901466200_4112793119585665979_n.jpg

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
Confused by this - maybe too early for my brain to have kicked in - you photograph yourself riding your bike?

Great original question OP.
I certainly do. It takes a bit of a knack but then photography is how I make my living. Lately I’ve been combining business with pleasure, bringing along my tripod, camera bodies and lenses on my morning rides. Slower going, but good exercise on the hills!

You can see the images here: https://www.instagram.com/roffsmith/

Last edited:
I certainly do. It takes a bit of a knack but then photography is how I make my living. Lately I’ve been combining business with pleasure, bringing along my tripod, camera bodies and lenses on my morning rides. Slower going, but good exercise on the hills!

Thanks for the reply and confirming my belief that there are few stupid questions, for thanks to it I had the nice surprise of your pics. Thanks. I recommend your link to others.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I wear one if its a little cold but not cold enough for winter kit . Heading out early morning but planning to be out all day is a good reason to take a cap along as you can take it off and easily store it when the sun warms up the day .

D

Deleted member 26715

We seem to be going off topic, I can understand wearing a cap, or a helmet, but both?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Never worn a cycling cap in my life. Even on cold, wet days my head is warm enough with just a helmet. On a warm day I'd hate to wear a cap underneath
It's just a style affectation and I've already got plenty of that

You certainly have Nickyboy.

Ever make videos? :cycle:

I carry a little point and shoot camera, $80. Actually takes pretty decent pics. I like to take pics on the fly. Many people appreciate the pics as I post them on my blog. Taken some decent on the bike pics.

DSCN0423.JPG

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
I’ve always been a stills photographer. On the subject of caps, they really are a visual improvement over helmets. I am now on the prowl for more different coloured ones.

Top Bottom