why do people wear cycling caps under their helmets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Cycling caps have flippable peaks to avoid exactly this problem but still gives you the option for shielding when needed.
Same for me, I wear a cap under the helmet, often with the peak up. I only have it down either in bright sun or rain.

nickAKA

Über Member
Stop sweat, stops sunburn, keeps rain of your face, keeps you warm.

keeps the hair out of my eyes (see avatar :blush:)

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Raining peak down, sunny peak up. Always wear one on the road bike. Was riding in a MTB endurance race at the weekend with a lid with a peak, and was dripping sweat despite the towelling band in the helmet. Don't get this on the road bike with a cap on even when racing. Oh and for the record I ain't a baldie. :biggrin:

pclay

Veteran
without a cap, sweat drips into my glasses, and i have to take my glasses off at some point. With a cap, it soaks up all the sweat, so I can keep my glasses on.

D

Deleted member 26715

I must have the wrong type of cap, I still get sweat in my eyes made even worse by the fact my head heats up a lot more

kapelmuur

Veteran
I'm a fan of the team jerseys of my youth (1960s/70s) and I have a small collection of retro jerseys. Where possible I have the matching cap.

When I rode the Eroica Britannia I went to a lot of trouble to look like the 1973 TdF winner, Luis Ocana. Correct coloured bike, Bic jersey and cap. Much to my disappointment no-one among the thousands in the event noticed, even another rider in a Bic jersey who asked to have a photo with me. When I asked him whether he was also a tribute to Ocana he just looked blank.

simongt

Guru
Seriously I sweat like a pig with just a lid, hate to think how bad it would be with a hat under there as well
But also, if you wear a hat under a lid, it stops the inside of the lid getting all manky from sweat, hair gel etc., etc.. Much easier to wash a cap than trying to get the inside of a lid clean. :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 26715

But also, if you wear a hat under a lid, it stops the inside of the lid getting all manky from sweat, hair gel etc., etc.. Much easier to wash a cap than trying to get the inside of a lid clean. :thumbsup:
Why would you wear hair gel? I cannot think of a reason this side of hell where I would wear hair gel

kapelmuur

Veteran
I certainly do. It takes a bit of a knack but then photography is how I make my living. Lately I’ve been combining business with pleasure, bringing along my tripod, camera bodies and lenses on my morning rides. Slower going, but good exercise on the hills!

You can see the images here: https://www.instagram.com/roffsmith/

I'm wishing I hadn't clicked the link, now feeling ashamed about the amateurish pics I take with my phone.:blush:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I missed the bit about 'under a helmet' until after I made my post. To avoid confusion, I don't wear a helmet, but wear a baseball cap if I need protection from the sun (baldy!), or to keep the sun/rain/bugs out of my eyes. In winter when it gets cold I will wear a fleece hat. The position/tilt of the baseball cap is infinitely adjustable to achieve a good balance between optimum shielding and head angle/neck comfort.

I have no interest in achieving 'The Look' so don't care what other people think or wear. As it happens, by lucky chance, I do look amazing....

:becool:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Gave up on wearing a casquette (to give it its poncy french name) after finding out that when descending at a decent lick, the peak creates enough lift to pull the helmet off, with only the chinstrap keeping it from flying off…

Top Bottom