why do people wear cycling caps under their helmets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Although you sweat the hat soaks it all up rather than running into your eyes.
I've clearly got the wrong kind of cap then :laugh::laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I've clearly got the wrong kind of cap then :laugh::laugh:

You need one of these.

tarpon-springs-fl-91.jpg

mainly helps to keep rain out of the eyes or off the glasses but as has been said, also to help keep warm/cool depending on the weather gods. I don't wear a peaked helmet.

plus I like them, whether under the helmet or not, which is probably the best reason to.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Mine is a gore cycling cap and keeps my head dry if its raining, warm if its cold, sun and sweat out of my eyes. A fashion accessory and a cycling aid.

Hicky

Guru
Cool innit

dodgy

I don't wear a cap under my helmet, preferring a buff fashioned into 'il pirata' style, this way you get a kind of pony tail effect at the back that wicks the moisture away from your head and dries. Keeps you comfortable in the sun, stops sweat dripping into your eyes, and is insulation in cold weather.

I have LOTS of buffs (or cheap knock offs) :smile:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have tried caps but the peak forces me to raise my head a tiny bit more, which gives me neck-ache.

I once had this problem with a new helmet as I hadn't noticed the detachable peak. Took weeks to work out why I suddenly had neck ache. Removing the peak solved the problem.

With the cap I find wearing it slightly pulled down the back of my head raises it sufficiently out of my eyeline to avoid neck ache.

The cap absorbs sweat in summer and stops it running in to my eyes. Keeps head warm in winter. Shades eyes from sun and keeps out rain. Great bit of kit.
but doesn't it then get seriously nasty and smelly? And I had the idea that many, being essentially cheapo products, don't take well to washing.

Sorry - not convinced - much prefer headbands - pretty much a must when it's at all hot.

I once had this problem with a new helmet as I hadn't noticed the detachable peak. Took weeks to work out why I suddenly had neck ache. Removing the peak solved the problem.

With the cap I find wearing it slightly pulled down the back of my head raises it sufficiently out of my eyeline to avoid neck ache.
Cycling caps have flippable peaks to avoid exactly this problem but still gives you the option for shielding when needed.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Peak down when riding into the sun or rain, peak up when not. Peak down puts strain on your neck and reduces forward visibility but, it is necessary when it is necessary.

Baseball cap doesn't work. The peak is too long and can't be flipped up. It can't be turned around either then it catches on the neck.[/QUOTE
In the hot weather with the peak up it creates a convenient gutter for the sweat from my bald-ish head to run off to the side, rather than into my eyes!
Rain or shine I don't go out without a cap as they're so useful.

Top Bottom