Why is there not more cycle storage on trains?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My commute to work is about 33 miles - 8 on the bike and about 25 on the train. What really P's me off is the lack of storage for bikes. I use the local "Northern Line" service because it's only a short "hop" on the train and isn't really worth the hassle of storing and retrieving the bike from the guards van on the wonderous East Coast servce (note the sarcasm here!!). On a four carriage train (holding est 250 people) there is official storage for 2 bikes!!!! That is unless some dilbert with a pushchar has decide to block the nice open space with pushchairs!!!

If we're really supposed to be promoting bicyle use in this country would it really be that difficult to put a set of "lifting seats" and wheel slots in each carriage. The official spaces would then at least rise to 8 (and unofficially 16 as we cyclists tend to at least double up). A step in the right direction by anyones standard!!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Why not e-mail the excellent Dave Holladay at the CTC, asking for all the information he has on bikes on trains, and offer him your support for any local campaigning.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...people-award-for-getting-bikes-on-trains.html

The 'class 377' electric units, the mainstay of Southern Region, are no better: these are 4-car units with space for just two bikes right opposite the disabled toilets: so that (a) disabled people complain about you blocking their access; (b) trouble on late trains with drunks throwing up; (c ) if you want to be near your bike have to sit on uncomfortable jump seat; (d ) not a pleasant view! You can in practice get three or four bikes in the space, but only until the guard walks by....

The Thameslink (sorry: "FCC") 'class 319' trains are a bit better: they have wide door lobbies and you can usually leave your bike in one of those. But when the train approaches a station watch which side the platform is - or see your bike fall out when someone opens the door.... :ohmy:

My commute to work is about 33 miles - 8 on the bike and about 25 on the train. What really P's me off is the lack of storage for bikes. I use the local "Northern Line" service because it's only a short "hop" on the train and isn't really worth the hassle of storing and retrieving the bike from the guards van on the wonderous East Coast servce (note the sarcasm here!!). On a four carriage train (holding est 250 people) there is official storage for 2 bikes!!!! That is unless some dilbert with a pushchar has decide to block the nice open space with pushchairs!!!

If we're really supposed to be promoting bicyle use in this country would it really be that difficult to put a set of "lifting seats" and wheel slots in each carriage. The official spaces would then at least rise to 8 (and unofficially 16 as we cyclists tend to at least double up). A step in the right direction by anyones standard!!

Yes, because a pushchair is very annoying and should be put in the isle.... what do you expect them to do? Folding up might help a bit but making them stand up is hard, laying them down will take the same amount of space, folding one with a baby in one arm is sketchy and lifting into luggage racks (if any) is also a pain (and I'd guess a bit full too).

Sure though the service here sucks - it sucks for us that just want to sit down so I don't see how we have much hope for bikes etc :sad:

What about racks on the outside of the trains like I've seen on some commuter buses in other countries on the front? :tongue: (I realise downfalls to this).

I assume you've done this route for a while then? Have you ever been refused entry, or not found enough space to get on? If you haven't then you should actually consider yourself a lucky one from the stories you hear...

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Yes, because a pushchair is very annoying and should be put in the isle.... what do you expect them to do? Folding up might help a bit but making them stand up is hard, laying them down will take the same amount of space, folding one with a baby in one arm is sketchy and lifting into luggage racks (if any) is also a pain (and I'd guess a bit full too).

I should add I have no problems with pushchairs. What I do have a problem with is a pushchair taking up the cycling space when the pushchair space at the other end of the train is EMPTY :angry: . Without the wheel slot/seat belt this means the bikes roll up and down the train at every change in acceleration. There's a space for pushchairs - so use it and don't take up my space because you're too idle to walk the extra 40ft to the other end of the carriage!!!

I assume you've done this route for a while then? Have you ever been refused entry, or not found enough space to get on? If you haven't then you should actually consider yourself a lucky one from the stories you hear...

Somehow I've always managed to get on the train - but usually due to helpful cyclists taking pity of a fellow commuter and making room (somehow!!. Fortunately I know the guards pretty well - so get quite a degree of leniency on the official rules about bike storage!!:biggrin:

I should add I have no problems with pushchairs. What I do have a problem with is a pushchair taking up the cycling space when the pushchair space at the other end of the train is EMPTY :angry: . Without the wheel slot/seat belt this means the bikes roll up and down the train at every change in acceleration. There's a space for pushchairs - so use it and don't take up my space because you're too idle to walk the extra 40ft to the other end of the carriage!!!

Somehow I've always managed to get on the train - but usually due to helpful cyclists taking pity of a fellow commuter and making room (somehow!!. Fortunately I know the guards pretty well - so get quite a degree of leniency on the official rules about bike storage!!:biggrin:

Didn't even realise there was a specific pushchair space on any trains from my (granted limited) experience.

Is it marked on the outside of the train like some bike spaces are, or aren't? Never know, the other end might be full of bikes (or even prams) etc etc. (I wouldn't be surprised that it works both ways).

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Last night there were three of us with bikes on the old 150 class that got into BIrmingham snow hill at half past five, not a pleasant experience. There must be 500 people on the train and space for two bikes.
Half the problem is that the picture on the outside of the carriage of a bike and a wheel chair should also be on the inside to discourage people from using them as normal seats.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Didn't even realise there was a specific pushchair space on any trains from my (granted limited) experience.

Only some. On Arriva, I think it's in Coach B (there isn't always a coach B though). Cycle Spaces are in Coach C on these trains (there's always a coach C).

Most annoying person on the train I get was an extremely rude lady sat in the middle seat of the 3 where bikes normally go. Left her to it for a couple of stops, but had to ask her to move once another couple of bikes got on (otherwise we'd have blocked the aisle). She was uncommonly graceless in her agreement to move.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Last night there were three of us with bikes on the old 150 class that got into BIrmingham snow hill at half past five, not a pleasant experience. There must be 500 people on the train and space for two bikes.
Half the problem is that the picture on the outside of the carriage of a bike and a wheel chair should also be on the inside to discourage people from using them as normal seats.

Arriva have a "Do Not Use This Space For Luggage" and "Passengers May Not Use these Seats When the Space Is Required For Bicycles" sign on theirs.

how much difference do you think it makes?

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member

Is it marked on the outside of the train like some bike spaces are, or aren't? Never know, the other end might be full of bikes (or even prams) etc etc. (I wouldn't be surprised that it works both ways).
Obviously I can't comment for other routes but on mine all the cyclists are regulars. Very sad I know but we can tell where the bike spaces are on a train just by looking at the front. However they are cleary marked if you can be bothered to look. The pushchair spaces can also be used by disabled travellers (they have the lift up seats just like buses) - but as the stations I use aren't main ones this is never going to happen - as there're no ramps (and noone (official anyway!!)) to put them down/help the disabled person on (but that's a rant for another topic!!!)

If I had my bike in one of these spots and someone with a pram or in a wheelchair did get on, then I'd move out of the way. It's just a show of respect. It would be nice to get some back - but I find pram users are the 4x4 drivers of the train commuting world!!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Arriva have a "Do Not Use This Space For Luggage" and "Passengers May Not Use these Seats When the Space Is Required For Bicycles" sign on theirs.

how much difference do you think it makes?

Sod all at a guess, but at least i could point at it and gesture to the cretins who stare blankly at me every time i'm trying to hint tjhat they might want to move.

headcoat

Über Member
Its not too bad on Merseyrail (at least on my route), three carriage train with 2 space at both front and rear, and also 2 spaces for wheelchair users (which rarely get used).

On average there are probably 4-6 bikes and occaisionaly you get a group of BMX kids as well.

Regularly passengers sit in the seats where the bikes should go though (why don't they just not have seats there), asked them to move a couple of times with no problems. Problem is trying to get out sometimes, because people tend to stand in the doorway, even though there are plenty of seat free for them.

The joys of public transport....I would cycle all the way but at 25 miles one way its not really an option.

Top Bottom