will the cramp go away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChefDicko

Regular
hello, ive been cycling for a month and tend to get alot of pain in my thighs after about 35 - 40 miles, are these cramps normal and will they get less as my legs get more use to it. ive always done running on a regular basis and i no the two sports dont complament each other but i want to do both as it seems to be the quickest way to get my fittness up wile the weather is rubbish. the pain goes away after 30 min once i have got home but its quite intense and i have never had this with other sports, is it normal ?
thanks, Jim

col

Legendary Member
You might be overdoing it too soon, I would say yes its normal as I used to get calf cramps after a long layoff. Totally different muscle use from running, so take it easy for a while.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Its quite common.Personally i think its mainly down to fitness and endurance.I used to get it badly on longer rides but not so much now .

Another possibillity is bike fitting. If your seat is too low you may be stressing your thighs more than neccessary.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I used to get awful cramps in my calfs, real twisted buggers. Spoke to the GP about it when I brought one of the kids and he said to drink a glass of milk a day. Very rare that it troubles me now, even after a good days slog in the saddle

OP
OP
ChefDicko

ChefDicko

Regular
thank you for the tips, ill try some electrolyte, just have water at the min, and started drink more milk this week funnly enough, i think my bike saddle is fitted wright my leg is almost but not quite streight at the bottom of the rotation, guess ill just keep plugging away till it goes, i may be over doing it as well, the lad i train with is quite alot better then me at the min

Top Bottom