Winter sadness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Have not been on my bike since 18th November. The cold and darkness put me off and I put my bike away.

My other passion, golf, has been relegated to a wee knock about every 2 weeks if I'm lucky. Again, not ideal!

I am now beginning to feel the effects of this. I've put on weight, I'm tired all the time, I'm generally in a bad mood and have turned into a bit of a Scrooge!

How do I survive this sh*tting time of year? I'm about to buy some clipless pedals and shoes in a bid to get back on my bike - perhaps it will give me the motivation.

I despair.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you dont want to ride get out and walk.

I get my scooter out at this time of the year.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I am normally hibernating by now but I've been out on my MTB (which is now sold) so I've been out on the winter bike. I've picked nice days where I have a couple of spare hours and stick my buff on, my warm gloves and just get out there and do it.
Sometimes you just have to boot yourself up the bum and throw a leg over your bike.

e-rider

crappy member
Have not been on my bike since 18th November. The cold and darkness put me off and I put my bike away.

My other passion, golf, has been relegated to a wee knock about every 2 weeks if I'm lucky. Again, not ideal!

I am now beginning to feel the effects of this. I've put on weight, I'm tired all the time, I'm generally in a bad mood and have turned into a bit of a Scrooge!

How do I survive this sh*tting time of year? I'm about to buy some clipless pedals and shoes in a bid to get back on my bike - perhaps it will give me the motivation.

I despair.
since the 18th Nov I've cycled 411 miles - just get out and ride (when it's safe to do so of course)

Diggs

Veteran
We have a cross trainer in the utility room, if I don't get out on the bike (and I haven't to any great extent since I did in my ac joint) I'll watch whatever rugby, cycling (cx this weekend!), podcast or movie and have an hour or so on that. I'd only watch it on the sofa anyway and I'm not dithering worrying about the weather or darkness as I would be with the bike.

You don't need expensive equipment either, just do steps on a box or skipping or any number of exercises

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I'm into work by 8am, leave between 6pm and 8pm. There's no just room for recreational weekday cycling unless I commute. Need to just get on with the commuting I suppose, it's better than this misery!!

screenman

Legendary Member
Swimming for me is a big help, as somebody who was diagnosed with S.A.D. many years ago, I find the warm water and surrounding a great pep up.

arch684

Veteran
I know that I am lucky that I am retired and can get out during the day but outdoor exercise is the answer to beating the winter blues.be it cycling jogging or walking.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I thought I might have S.A.D.

How do you tell the difference between it being a condition and it just being a response to how boring and sh*t this time of year is?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Is the clipless thing just a motivational thing to buy or do you think you'll be better clipped in in the bad weather?

I'd suggest if you're new to clipless, wet and potentially slippy roads are better tackled on flats until the heel flick unclip becomes instinctive second nature. Funny thing, when you do get used to clipping out, you'll still twist out on flats.

vickster

Legendary Member
Or go for a cycle at lunchtime, take the bike to work in the car if you're not commuting on it

Or get a turbo trainer

U

User6179

I thought I might have S.A.D.

How do you tell the difference between it being a condition and it just being a response to how boring and sh*t this time of year is?

Over sleeping and over eating with a general feeling of cant be bothered , I feel like this most winters if I cant exercise , it becomes a vicious circle of weight gain in the winter with weight loss in the summer so to crack it I now try to exercise through the winter , mostly walking the dog with some shorter cycle rides .

I also diet now over the winter as I am burning less calories .
My advice would be to find something else physical to do if you cant get out on the bike ,hill walking , five asides ,badminton , swimming , anything that will lift your low mood :smile:

Top Bottom